Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

best bridge for night shots and moving subjects

Hi

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.
    no more than 500€

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
    it does not matter at all

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?
    minimum of 7 MP

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify)
    ultrazoom (at least 12x)

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
    at least 8

Do you care for manual controls?
    no

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
    safaris, animal races, landscapes, twilight and night shots, any sport events

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    yes

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    yes & yes (mostly low light photos)

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    yes & yes

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    Like Sony and Canon

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    I hesitate between the Sony DSC-H9, the H5 and the Canon S3 IS

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    Wide angle, image stabilisation, big LCD (at least 2.5")
    N.B.: it will need to be compatible with Mac

Thanks a lot for your help

You say you want the best bridge for night shots and moving subjects, which has to be the Fuji S6000 / S6500 (same camera in different places). It doesn't have image stabilisation, but that isn't much help with moving subjects - IS alows slower shutter speeds hand held, but you need fast speeds to freeze the subject movement.

It'll also give you more wide angle than the others you say you're looking at (28mm equiv vs. 31 or 36mm). It is only 6MP, but so is the Canon S3, and fewer pixels, and a larger sensor (1/1.7" vs 1/2.5") give you a lot less noise at the higher ISO sensitivities, which allow you to use the faster shutter speeds you need.

Thanks for your reply AlexMonro

I tried the Fuji S6500 and I did not really like it. It just did not feel right in my hands.

I've also tried the Sony DSC-H5 which I really liked and the Canon S3 IS. I really don't know which one I should choose.
    I also had a look at the Pana DMC Z50. I did enjoy it but I was not really sure of the difference between this one and the H5 and the Canon S3 IS (expecially for night shots).

So far, I have a thing for the Sony H5 but I really don't know which one would be the best for me.

The FZ50 (I assume you meant this) has some more advance features like a hotshoe for external flash and a manual zoom ring, and also a few more pixels, which might give larger prints slightly better quality, although the heavy noise reduction at high ISO sensitivity can give smeared colours. It's really in a slightly higher class than the H5 / S3IS.

There's a side by side review of the S3 & H5 here.

If you really like the H5 then go for it. Feeling comfortable with your kit can be an important contribution to your experience of photography. Many of the issues of specifications only become clear as you gain experience of the style of photography you find you like to do.

Just get a camera you like, get out and take some pictures, and post the results!