Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Firewire (SD) card reader

Hi,

I just bought a Canon SD300, and I'd like to take advantage of the firewire
    port on my laptop for transferring photos. Can anyone recommend a
    firewire card reader? I'd prefer if it were Secure Digital only (if only
    to save me a couple dollars), but I'll pay for reliability. I'll be picking up
    a high-speed SD card later today (probably a Sandisk Ultra II), so it'll
    have to be compatible with that card.

Much appreciated,

Alex

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kensai
    Hi,

Much appreciated,

Alex
    Thus far the only firewire I can see is for Compact Flash. Having said that, only Compact Flash is the choice of the professional photographer - maybe that has something to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kensai
    Hi,

Much appreciated,

Alex
    The speed difference between Firewire and USB 2.0HS is negligable, with USB 2.0 having the spec advantage (480Mb/s vs. 400Mb/s) and Firewire having the throughput advantage.

That said, here is the only one I know of that can read SD cards:

http://www.synchrotech.com/products/card-rw_29.html

All-in-all I think you would be better off using USB2.0.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

I agree, go USB 2.0. When I built my last PC and it had Firewire I thought a card reader would be a good test toy. Forget it! After a bit of digging I never found one that was less than $90 (18 months ago) and I could buy 3 USB readers for that much. As has been mentioned the USB 2.0 units are fast enough.

Unfortunately, that means I'll have to settle for a USB 1.1 card reader. My Powerbook is one revision too old to have USB 2.0, so Firewire was my only chance for speedy transfers. At least USB 1.1 readers are cheap...

Thanks,

Alex

efroten Guest
    I was wondering about a firewire CF card reader as well. Is there any difference in the Sandisk and Lexar readers? the Lexar seems to be $50 and the Sandisk seems to be $30.

Also, another option you have is to get a PCMCIA card reader, or buy a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card. and i thought that i had seen some performance specs saying firewire readers are still faster than USB 2 readers. but for the life of me i cant seem to find the site i saw that on.

Quote Originally Posted by efroten
    I was wondering about a firewire CF card reader as well. Is there any difference in the Sandisk and Lexar readers? the Lexar seems to be $50 and the Sandisk seems to be $30.

Also, another option you have is to get a PCMCIA card reader, or buy a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card. and i thought that i had seen some performance specs saying firewire readers are still faster than USB 2 readers. but for the life of me i cant seem to find the site i saw that on.
    Firewire has higher throughput, and is marginally faster. I have both and can barely tell the difference using an external HDD.

I use a USB2.0 PC Card (PCMCIA) on my older laptop and it works fine. Just make sure you connect the external power cord to your existing USB1.1 jack for power.

Here is an example. I'm pretty sure that it will work on Apple laptops as well.

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp...PCCARD&cat=NBB

As a final note on all of this: the USB2.0HS card reader is about 5 times faster than the fastest flash memory card (about 60MB/sec.). So USB2.0HS vs. firewire is a moot point.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/