Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

mhowell Guest

Best Photo Quality in a Small Camera

I've read through the posts, but didn't see exactly what I was looking for, so I thought I'd throw this question out there.

My camera requirements in order of preference are:
    1. Great photo quality for nature scenes, landscapes, etc. (8x10 or smaller)
    2. Compact or ultracompact
    3. Decent optical zoom
    4. Good people pictures without redeye (I know, impossible with a compact camera)

Based on all the reviews I've read, I'm thinking about the Canon sd410, Canon s500, Canon Powershot s50/60/70, Sony DSC-v1, and Nikon 5200. I've looked at some ultracompact cameras from Pentax and Minolta, but the photo quality doesn't seem as high.

I'm leaning toward the s50 or s60 because of better picture quality, even if I'd have to give up the size convenience. Any suggestions? Are there cameras I should be looking at that I haven't listed.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mhowell
    I've read through the posts, but didn't see exactly what I was looking for, so I thought I'd throw this question out there.

My camera requirements in order of preference are:
    1. Great photo quality for nature scenes, landscapes, etc. (8x10 or smaller)
    2. Compact or ultracompact
    3. Decent optical zoom
    4. Good people pictures without redeye (I know, impossible with a compact camera)

Based on all the reviews I've read, I'm thinking about the Canon sd410, Canon s500, Canon Powershot s50/60/70, Sony DSC-v1, and Nikon 5200. I've looked at some ultracompact cameras from Pentax and Minolta, but the photo quality doesn't seem as high.

I'm leaning toward the s50 or s60 because of better picture quality, even if I'd have to give up the size convenience. Any suggestions? Are there cameras I should be looking at that I haven't listed.

Thanks!
    Maybe include the Panasonic FZ3 in there somewhere. It's sort-of compact for an ultra-zoom, and you might want to take red-eye off your list, as there are only a handful of all-in-one cameras that do a decent job of reduction.

Good hunting...
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/