Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Getting a macro lens, need help deciding

I am getting a macro lens for my A100. I have been looking around and the lenses in my pricerange are the Sony 50mm f/2.8 ($429) and Tamron 90mm f/2.8 ($399). There is also the Sony 100mm f/2.8 but it is a little too expensive for me ($619).

Which one should I choose?

Cool Ahhhh... the killer MACRO

You want a macro that will allow you be far enough away to not scare the bugs? There is a serious one out there for a fair price.

The TAMRON SP AF 180mm f/3.5 Di LD (IF) 1:1 Macro <- Click here
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I'm not a big fan of bugs so I probably won't be taking that many pictures of them. It will mostly be used in a macrostudio I have built. That and maybe of flowers in the garden and such. Maybe some portraits of all my nieses and nephews too.

Just saw that Sigma has a new 70mm macro lens ($410) and a 105mm ($399). Any of these a good choice compared to the Tamron?

The longer the focal length, the less wide and less distractive the background will be.

So, seen in that light the Tamron 90mm f2.8 seems to be a nicer candidate than a 50mm macro.
    If you want a 50mm macro anyway, you best look at the Sigma 50mm f2.8, as it is a very good macro and has a much lower price: ~$250.

In terms of portrait lens, 50mm is in the short end of "portrait lenses".
    1.5 x 50mm = 75mm

The 70mm f2.8 macro for Sigma is a very good macro too, and has a great length for portraits:
    1.5 x 70 = 105mm

The Tamron 90mm sits at the long end of the portrait lens range:
    1.5 x 90 = 135mm.

I would choose either the Sigma 70mm f2.8 or the Tamron 90mm f2.8, depending on what focal length you find most attractive.
    If funds are tight, the 50mm f2.8 from Sigma is a very nice choice.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

I got myself the Sigma 105mm EX DG

The Tamron 90mm has raving reviews everywhere. So there's come the issue; the competition: The Sigma 105mm EX DG macro. After reviewng the tecnical specs it could go anywhere between these two for me. It was a matter of availability/price at the time I bought it. So the Sigma won for me. I can only tell you the images will blow you away with a clarity and sharpness that I do not think you've seen so far.

But either way you go I don't think you'll go wrong.
    Last edited by fos; 05-06-2007 at 05:33 AM.
    Ti eukolon? To allo hupotithestai