Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question Mom w/toddler needs camera recommendation

HELP!! I have never owned a digital, wanted to purchase one before my son was one (he's now 18 months) and am feeling completely lost. I have been doing some homework, reading reviews for last couple of weeks. whenever I think I found one that I might like I read a review that turns me off. I had considered the nikon 3200, then a mom posted that the shutter lag wasn't good for her young kids and was returning it. I also read about the canon 410 and then I think it was the fuji 3800, somone told me to stay away from that b/c it has a plastic lens?

I'm not sure if I want something compact or regular size. Between 3 to 4 MP is fine. I want something that I can start to use as a beginner and then use the features as I get better. I was thinking anywhere between 200 and 400$.

Please suggest a few so I can compare. Thank You!!
    Last edited by amnsully; 07-29-2004 at 07:41 AM.

Try the Canon A75 ($299 MSRP) or A80 ($499 MSRP )in your mix. Both are family and budget freindly. The A80 is not as budget friendly but has a swivel LCD which comes in very handy for photographing children at their level. Both also have manual modes so that you can learn as you go.

The actual street prices should be lower.

Actually for about the same price catagory you might want to look at some of the longer zooms with image stabilized lenses (Canon S1 IS, or Panasonics FZ family, and Minolta FZ3) for those kids sporting events or just great candid shots on family outings. At this point only the Panasonic FZ10, and CAnon S1 IS are available, but by October the rest should be out on store shelves. Prices run from $399 to $699. The S1 IS and FZ10 are $499 and $599 Respectively (MSRP).

Also I don't think that any reputable camera maker uses plastic lenses.

As always, try before you buy. What you like and what I (or anyone else likes) may be totally different. Have fun.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Smile Help appreciated

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll look into those.

I've seen the A80 for as low as 200 so shop around!