Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I didn't know I had problems until I read this forum

I'm glad I opened this forum. I'm new to the DSLR game so I was unaware of any problems with my A100. I'll take a closer look at what I have been experiencing with my Sony... and I will report back.

Thumbs up Manual Mode

I took the A100 out with my newly acquired TAMRON Adaptall 2 MF 200-500mm f/6.9, just to get a feel for this rather massive lens (97.7 oz). It requires a heck of a lot out of a handhold ... and I'm just not up to that, any more. I suppose you could do a "prone position" with it, but it's definitely tripod/monopod bound for me. Let's face it, you start swinging this puppy around in a crowd and someone's going to get hurt!

So, I placed it on a tripod and began shooting around a man-made lake, just to have some clear distance between me and the subject (a nefarious tree) on the other side. I zoomed out to 500mm ... too much lens ... backed off to about 400mm and did a series of exposures that resulted in what I anticipated as the result. The camera did it's job and produced the images. I backed off to about 300mm and did another series, with a recycling can, 90-degrees to the light source ... the Sun. Again, the results were as anticipated. No surprises.

I then thought it might be fun to get images of the cars running along the road, several hundred yards away, at 1/4000th at f/6.9, just to see if the images would turn out. Remember, these boys are doing 45-50mph, almost perpendicular to my position. Happily, a well timed-firing produced some rather nice looking results and proved that the lens was able to capture a decent shot even under extreme settings like 1/4000 - moving target - tripod - Manual Focus! Of course, I had superior lighting from ol' Sol, so who could complain? I probably could have shot through gauze and still have gotten a great shot. LOL

These images are unenhanced and only resized.
    Name:  road-shot1.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  225.7 KB
    Name:  Road-shot-2.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  228.2 KB

Of course, the obligatory 100% crop
    Name:  Road-shot-2-100-percent.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  23.8 KB

The lens has an 82mm filter ring, so my filtering is severly limited. I have to almost exclusively us the "P"-sized Cokins, and they can play hell in the bright sunlight, as the plastic edges catch the sun and flood the filter with spurious light. You need to use black tape across the edge to prevent this.

All in all, the SONY A100 is delivering ... even with the slower, darker lenses and that's good to know. Manual Mode is there when you need it or craft with it.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-02-2007 at 06:29 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Cool

Don, you have convinced me!!

My Canon S3 is now my learning tool (and will remain my 'toy') and next April when I visit the US (exchange rates help ) I will almost certainly be purchasing an A100.

The question I have though is, will it still be available retail? I know you're not all telepaths and can't read Sony's mind but, anyone have any opinions?

As a starting kit, what lenses should I be looking at?

Thanks.
    Canon XSi/450D
    EF-S 18-55mm IS - EF-S 55-250mm IS
    Canon PowerShot S3 IS

LensmateOnline 58mm adapter
    LensmateOnline Rubber Hood
    Hoya 58mm Pro-1 Digital CPL Filter
    +1,+2,+4,+8 MASSA Close-up Set
    HAMA Monopod
    HAMA Tripod

SLR's are usually easy to find long after they stop being produced. Just look at the Rebel XT. You can still find it new most everywhere.
    I have a camera. It takes pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by GarethP View Post

My Canon S3 is now my learning tool (and will remain my 'toy') and next April when I visit the US (exchange rates help ) I will almost certainly be purchasing an A100.

The question I have though is, will it still be available retail? I know you're not all telepaths and can't read Sony's mind but, anyone have any opinions?

Thanks.
    You will be fine with the kit lens (18-70mm) but if you want S3 range the Tamron 28-250mm will cover everything. $400ish.

If you like taking artistic portrait shots, get a 50mm f/1.7 - $100 on ebay.

Like buying a computer, for cameras set a budget! If money was not a care for me i'd buy a Carl Zeiss 16-80mm lens too.

By next year a new alpha might be available but i don't think the a100 will get cheaper right away. It's a good camera with very good capabilities.
    Best of Both worlds:
    dSLR: Sony a100 dSLR w/ kit lens (18-70mm)
    Minolta Lens Collection: 28-80mm xi, 70-210mm
    Point and Shoot: Sony DSC-T11

My photo portfolio

My Flickr

"Gentlemen ... start your camera!"

Quote Originally Posted by GarethP View Post

Thanks.

Not that long ago, in this forum, I suggested a SONY advanced-starter camera bag (<-- Click on this link). Consider this bag a suggested "jump-start" on avoiding all the miscues and foul-ups when selecting future lenses you will need. Just get them right up front and you are off to the races.

In the post, the lenses discussed were of the type you would not have to replace for a long time and of sufficient quality to shoot almost 90% of what any serious photographer would need.

Of course there are differing opinions, but after my experiences, these are still the suggested ways to go. If you want to start off simple, though, the SONY A100 coupled with the TAMRON AF18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) and a vertical grip (VG-1) {by Dicain} is a great way to be able to just grab your camera and commence fire!

On the brilliant summer afternoons that Chicago has been enjoying of late, it's all you should need ... outdoors.

Now, of course, if you are ducking indoors, you will need a low light substitute, and that's basically where the rest of the suggested bag comes into play. If external flash is an option, though, the TAMRON utility lens (18-250mm f/3.5-6.3) is still a great ranged lens to cover the bases. Just get the SONY HVL-F56AM electronic flash and you should have all the lighting power required to light the room for your shot.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-17-2007 at 07:32 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thanks for the pointer Don, I'll definitely look out for the Tamron...

On the brilliant summer afternoons that Chicago has been enjoying of late, it's all you should need ... outdoors.
    That should get me off to a running start - 99% of my photography is outside.... but in the UK at the moment - I can't remember the last day it didn't rain - must be at least 8 weeks ago!
    Canon XSi/450D
    EF-S 18-55mm IS - EF-S 55-250mm IS
    Canon PowerShot S3 IS

LensmateOnline 58mm adapter
    LensmateOnline Rubber Hood
    Hoya 58mm Pro-1 Digital CPL Filter
    +1,+2,+4,+8 MASSA Close-up Set
    HAMA Monopod
    HAMA Tripod