Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

point and shoot low lite fast shutter

I have a 4 month old so I want something with a fast shutter speed and that can take clear pictures in low light without spending a fortune. I am not sure of price so just throw things out there. What would you suggest? I just want something simple...doesn't need any "extras" I will be taking pictures of family mostly...so I don't need a large zoom either.

Canon 350D
    Fuji Finepix f20

Let's do a quick primer on photography basics.

Exposure is determined by three factors - shutter speed, aperture, and ISO speed. Think of your camera as a bucket that collects light. Imagine that light is water from a house. Shutter speed is how long you turn the hose on for, aperture is how 'open' you turn the hose on (trickle -> shower) and ISO speed is the size of the bucket. If you require a specific amount of light (water) to properly expose the picture, changing any one of these factors will require you to change the other factors to compensate. If you turn the house on for half as long but open it up twice as much, you haven't changed the amount of water.

To put that into perspective on picking a camera to photograph your child, think about what is necessary to capture enough light to make the photo possible. You want a fast shutter speed to stop the motion and freeze the moment, so we already know that shutter speed must be high. Almost every camera on the market can handle higher shutter speeds than you'd ever want to use indoors, so this is not an issue. The issue, of course, is aperture and/or ISO speed. Aperture is measured in f stops (f/2,f/f2.8,f/3.5,etc), with a lower number indicating a more 'open' or faster lens. ISO speed is like the measurement of film (100, 200, 400, 800, etc.). Each increase reflects twice the light being captured.

If you want a Point and Shoot camera, you really need to find one with good high ISO performance. Most P&S cameras have relatively slow lenses, usually starting at f/2.8 or so wide open and dropping down to about f/5 when zoomed in. With such slow lenses, we must increase the ISO speed to capture more light when using a fast shuter speed.

In the P&S market, the only real choice is a Fuji F20, F30, or F31fd. The noise level at high ISO speeds on the Fuji is generally about two stops better than on other brands.

If you can deal with using a DSLR camera your chances of success and options increase significantly. A 50mm f/1.8 lens is available for almost all the DSLR models on the market, allowing a lot more light to hit the sensor - especially handy for low light or fast shutter speeds. Combine this with the larger sensors of a DSLR which capture better images (read: less noise) at high ISO speeds and you should see a 2 to 3 stop advantage over a point and shoot (Fuji), and as much as 5 or 6 stops advantage over some of the other brands (Panasonic).

Even a low end DSLR with a nice 50mm lens will perform remarkably better in low light than a point and shoot.

Without a price range or more details, I can't suggest specific models or solutions.

Wow thank you sooo much for taking the time to write that out! Your awesome! I really do want a digital only because I upload and send pictures through email almost daily. I have tons of out of town familt who want to see my son A LOT! haha So I realllly don't want to deal with film and scanning pictures. Although you have tempted me. I don't want to spend more than 800.00 or so....but, honestly I would like to spend the least possible....wouldn't everyone? lol

Canon 350D
    Fuji Finepix f20

Hi Megan, good luck with your camera search! It sounds like you thought DSLRs were film cameras. Nope! DSLR stands for Digital Single Lens Reflex. DSLRs are digital cameras that have the ability to use interchangeable lenses. In general, they are larger, they cost more, and they require more practice and post-processing. But the pictures produced can be a lot better, especially in low-light situations. If you are interested, you might be able to find a slightly older model, the Nikon D50, for a reasonable price.
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

oooh I didn't notice the D part! haha Thanks!

Canon 350D
    Fuji Finepix f20

I think you should think carefully if you really want to jump into the DSLR world. No doubt, a DSLR with a good lens will give you much better quality images in low light, but they are also generally larger cameras and heavier cameras, and you will inevitably collect different lenses for different situations meaning your carry around weight will be more.

I can't help thinking that the compact Fuji F30 or F31FD, with its excellent high ISO's would be sufficient for you. You should try out this camera, its low light capability is really excellent, and perhaps you underestimate its standard. DSLR's are of course better and provide versatility, but the Fuji F series are good as well. Look at some of the images taken by others in the forums over here:

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24706
    Samsung NX10+30mm+18-55mm OIS, Fuji S6500FD

DSLR and kids don't mix; especially if they (kids & cam) are all your own.

However, there is a camera that can best capture the kids until they grow up and it doesn't cost too much. The already mentioned Fuji F30/f31fd.

Here is a sample from inside the room with all the blind down.
    # Camera model: FinePix F30
    # Exposure time: 0.100 s (1/10)
    # Aperture: f/3.2
    # ISO equiv.: 1600

No non-DSLR can capture this with such clarity. I know the baby was asleep and was still, but with other camera you would need to set up a tripod.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Thanks for that last picture! I looked at some DSLR's and I think that those really aren't the way to go for me. My lumix was kind of a pain to carry around and it is on the "small" side. I want something I can stick in a diaper bag! lol I take probably 30 pictures a day (I know I am a nutty mom) but, I worry I will miss something. But, I had tried to take some pictures of my son laying on the bed with light coming in from the window on half his face...and alllll but maybe 2 shots were awful. I adjusted the settings and still bad...when I upped the ISO I just got tons of noise which I hated. Is that a type of picture the f30 can do? What is the difference between the f30 and f31fd? I included one of the only good shots I did get with the Lumix so you can see what kind of picture I am talking about.

Last edited by meganecp; 04-24-2007 at 06:22 AM.

Canon 350D
    Fuji Finepix f20

meganecp,
    Owning a FZ camera myself I know exactly what you mean and understand your frustration. I love Panasonic FZ cams but they just don't belong indoors. FZ5 is on the 'smallish' size and there are no DSLR smaller than FZ5.
    I don't think anyone want to use ISO400 on FZ5 and FZ20; the images at such settting are just CRAPS.
    Back to the photo I posted earlier. The room was very dark. It was taken during the day but all blind were down and only the door behind the baby was partly open. I managed to get 1/10sec at ISO1600. I would have to hold the camera steady for ONE full second if I shot that on FZ20 on ISO200. And even at ISO1600, its image has much lower noise than FZ# at ISO400.
    Yes, you will get higher success rate with F30/F31fd. It is the king of lowlight camera and I bought it just for that reason after following the F10, F11...
    And its video is superb also even in lowlight; the quality is better than my year 2000 model Sony camcorder when cut into a DVD. You can't zoom in or out during the filming, though.
    F31fd stands for Face Detection. It's a handy feature for beginner so they don't miss a shot due to darkened face in backlighting situation. You have to pay alot for that feature, however.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

So would you say the f31fd is worth the extra?

Canon 350D
    Fuji Finepix f20