Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: a100 Noise

a100 Noise

Hi all. I'm trying to help out a friend of mine that really wants the Sony a100. She has asked me about the "noise issue" with the alpha, but I have no idea how to answer her. I'm a newbie to DSLRs so I'm still learning all this stuff. My friend will primarily be using the a100 to shoot her kids and their activities (school plays, sports, etc.). So I am turning to you a100 users for advice. How big an issue is the noise at higher ISO?

Thanks for all of your help!!!

Kerri

Smile What all the noise about?

Quote Originally Posted by kerriv View Post
    Hi all. I'm trying to help out a friend of mine that really wants the Sony a100. She has asked me about the "noise issue" with the alpha, but I have no idea how to answer her. I'm a newbie to DSLRs so I'm still learning all this stuff. My friend will primarily be using the a100 to shoot her kids and their activities (school plays, sports, etc.). So I am turning to you a100 users for advice. How big an issue is the noise at higher ISO?

Thanks for all of your help!!!

Kerri
    SONY did not spend a lot of time addressing noise with the sensor in the A100, at high ISO. Because of "anti-shake", the need for higher ISO has been reduced.

Nikon's D80 and D200 have had to improve on the very same 10.2 MP sensor's ISO response, because the do not have "anti-shake" technology.

That's about it in a nutshell... I figure "anti-shake" is definitely worth the trade-off.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Photos tend to be 'noisier' for iso's above 800. this is true also for the other cameras, like nikon and sony. pentax k10d is beautiful at high iso's.

But a true photographer should not depend on high isos for any camera because they are noisy and you lose detail.

I absolutely like the output of night shots, long exposure, iso 80-100!
    Best of Both worlds:
    dSLR: Sony a100 dSLR w/ kit lens (18-70mm)
    Minolta Lens Collection: 28-80mm xi, 70-210mm
    Point and Shoot: Sony DSC-T11

My photo portfolio

My Flickr