Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Canon PowerShot S3 and SD-SDHC cards

Hello.
    I want to know if some body use these camera, and is sure how many is the maximum capacity of the SD and SDHC mamory card, wich cauld to put! On the site of Canon read this
    "Supported memory cards for PowerShot A630, A640, A710 IS, S3 IS, SD40, SD800 IS, and SD900
    Your camera can be used with either SD or SDHC memory cards that conform to the Secure Digital standards. You may use multi media cards (MMC) with this camera; however, Canon makes no warranties concerning the use of multi media cards (MMC). The maximum capacity SD that may be used is 2 GB. For capacities greater than 2GB a card adhering to the SDHC standard must be used. Canon also does not endorse any particular brand of memory card or suggest specific "Speed Ratings".
    But in the specifications in the camera not write that support SDHC, but some where I read, that is possible. Thanks before the answers!

Quote Originally Posted by stancho_75 View Post
    Hello.
    I want to know if some body use these camera, and is sure how many is the maximum capacity of the SD and SDHC mamory card, wich cauld to put! On the site of Canon read this
    "Supported memory cards for PowerShot A630, A640, A710 IS, S3 IS, SD40, SD800 IS, and SD900
    Your camera can be used with either SD or SDHC memory cards that conform to the Secure Digital standards. You may use multi media cards (MMC) with this camera; however, Canon makes no warranties concerning the use of multi media cards (MMC). The maximum capacity SD that may be used is 2 GB. For capacities greater than 2GB a card adhering to the SDHC standard must be used. Canon also does not endorse any particular brand of memory card or suggest specific "Speed Ratings".
    But in the specifications in the camera not write that support SDHC, but some where I read, that is possible. Thanks before the answers!
    Largest SD Cards you can get right now are:

2GB SD (various speed ratings - each company calls them something different)

8GB SDHC (Class 2 - min 2MB/s, Class 4 - min 4MB/s, Class 6 - min 6MB/s)

I have an 8GB SDHC and it works great in the S3IS. Brand is "A-Data". Got it from Newegg.com for around $51 US.

Hope this answers a few questions.

Quote Originally Posted by sabast20 View Post
    Largest SD Cards you can get right now are:

2GB SD
    No, the largest SD cards are 4gb.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

Quote Originally Posted by Visual Reality View Post
    No, the largest SD cards are 4gb.
    Yes... you are correct. 4GB is the max for SD. I had posted that in another post...but oddly enough I didn't check this time. Thanks for the correction.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by sabast20 View Post
    Yes... you are correct. 4GB is the max for SD. I had posted that in another post...but oddly enough I didn't check this time. Thanks for the correction.

Scott
    While it's true that there are 4GB SD cards, these are a violation of the "SD" standard. The maximum capacity that's compliant with the SD spec is 2GB. Some SD card manufacturers push the spec to 4GB using practically their own method, which would sometimes result in incompatibilities, or so I've heard. Note that this limit has nothing to do with the file system type in use (FAT, FAT32, etc.), and is a different subject altogether.

For anything above 2GB up to 32GB, the SDHC or SD 2.0 standard took over.
    Orly

Canon PowerShot S3 IS
    • Lensmate 58mm Lens Adapter
    • Hoya HMC Super UV Filter
    • Hoya CPL Filter
    • Canon +4 Close-up Lens
    Sony Cybershot U20

There is nothing wrong with 4gb SD cards. Check my sig...

Haven't seen anyone with any problems yet.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod