Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrible news

Education's not the answer, not in terms of school anyway. It's not as if the killer here was educated to hurt and destroy others. But we need everyone to be respectful and moral, we need parents to value and teach their children. Don't fall into the trap of "oh, we need more money, more resources, more teachers and social structures". They're just quick fixes which do nothing in the long run but expend our energies. We need something which functions at a much deeper level.
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF(...or not)

I don't think "nqjudo" & "forno" were suggesting that the education had to come from schools....just education in general (parents, family, friends)

Unfortunately, while we would hope that parents are teaching their children tolerance, it would appear that some parents (and/or groups) are teaching their children old hatreds.
    Canon 5D MKlll & Canon 50D
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 | Canon 430EX Flash | Lowepro Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro Toploader 65 AW | Lowepro Slingshot 200AW | Kata 3n1-10

Panasonic Lumix FZ200
    Panasonic Lumix TZ7 (aka ZS3)
    Panasonic Lumix FT3 (aka TS3)

Ali Baba.....the Thief of Bad Gags

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Gaza View Post
    I don't think "nqjudo" & "forno" were suggesting that the education had to come from schools....just education in general (parents, family, friends)
    i think education via swift kick in the ass works bloody wonders. oh wait a minute...thats child abuse.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Rooz....I'll vote for ya
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 | Canon 430EX Flash | Lowepro Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro Toploader 65 AW | Lowepro Slingshot 200AW | Kata 3n1-10

Panasonic Lumix FZ200

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    As criminals always get to carry weapons without any problem, the honest citizen needs to be able to defend themself against the criminals. I'll give some common scenarios:

1. A man and a woman are getting into their car. A bad guy saunters up and whips out a pistol, shoves it in the man's gut and demands the car keys. There's an even chance the criminal will kill the man and rape his wife before killing her too. There's a pistol in the glove compartment which the woman grabs and shoots the bad guy dead. This happens quite frequently in this neck of the woods.

2. A man is asleep in bed when 5 bad guys break in intent on burglary and raping his wife. The man leaps out of bed, grabs his revolver and kills 3. Two get away but are apprehended later by police when they go to hospital for gunshot wound treatment. This happened too.

In Britain, semi-automatic weapons have been illegal for many years. Fully-automatic weapons have never been legal. The bad guys have no problems in obtaining and using either. The Irish terrorists have no problem getting rockets, grenades, bombs etc and everybody - secret service, police, public etc is on the lookout to stop them.

The only people that weapon bans affect adversely are the law-abiding public. Laws do not affect criminals because criminals do not obey laws. Hence in an armed society the criminals know they are likely to receive an armed response. As is always said: it's not the fear of jail that deters crime but the certainty of detection (or death).

Then I guess the question is....has the ability for Joe Citizen to carry a weapon deterred the bad guys ?

From your examples above...I suspect not (afterall, the bad guys are still committing the crimes)

Panasonic Lumix FZ200

The most recent trend of mass shootings is characteristically different from street crime
    there have been no less than 19 school shootings over recent years
    they are mostly young people without serious records that one could announce them to be criminals
    they are unlikely to have access to otherwise criminal means to purchase illegal weapons.

Key to this proposition, is the access to firearms for children, for criminals, for psychotic and psychologically deranged. In Virginia in particular, there are no background checks, access is pretty much unlimited. Its my understanding this is any kind of weapon, handgun, auto, full auto, AK's, probably even 50 cal.

Im sure various Government agencies have attempted to wrestle with these matters using gun control as a tool. Pretty much all of these efforts have been thwarted. Amazingly, it actually seems that gun control laws have been weakened since Columbine.
    Last edited by Riley; 04-17-2007 at 06:20 AM.
    Riley

Pentax 110 auto SLR

Then I guess the question is....has the ability for Joe Citizen to carry a weapon deterred the bad guys ?

From your examples above...I suspect not (afterall, the bad guys are still committing the crimes)
    And I sir, would vote for you. the need to "bear arms" in case the king of england invades and a militia needs to be formed is kinda redundant. it is certainly a mentality i will never understand.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

What about the cases where wifey goes to take a piss in the middle of the night and the husband thinks she's an intruder and shoots her?

I think the real problem is the person behind the gun. Why is America so prone to violent gun crime? There are guns everywhere in the world why is it such an issue in the U.S. I'm not saying violent crime is exclusive to the United States but it does seem to occur more frequently there.

I am of the mind set that having a gun on every hip is the wrong way of controlling violence.

The very idea of having a gun in every home is crazy to me and most people I talk to around here feel the same. Does that make me less safe? I think not. My situation is different to then to others around the world, but I'm thankful I feel safe without a gun by my side. I consider that true freedom.

My hart goes out to those who need to have guns to feel safe.
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    1. A man and a woman are getting into their car. A bad guy saunters up and whips out a pistol, shoves it in the man's gut and demands the car keys. There's an even chance the criminal will kill the man and rape his wife before killing her too. There's a pistol in the glove compartment which the woman grabs and shoots the bad guy dead. This happens quite frequently in this neck of the woods.

Quite frequently, no less.

Ray.