Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: E-410/e-510

Actually this is not the article I am talking about either Guess it will be on their web site after the mag has been on the news stands for a bit. It is the May 2007 issue with a sunset picture on the cover.

Yea, I'm waiting on mine from Ritz. It's funny because I called again and the guy said some were coming in tomororw, so to check back tomorrow... but the guy did NOT sound too familiar with the product so I'm definitely not holding my breath

E-410 v E-510

Why the E-400/410? 'Cos its small, and for some folks that matters.

Wayback last century, when Olympus launched the OM1 film camera. it was the smallest SLR you could buy. And all the other manufacturers followed Olympus' lead (hence Pentax ME's etc.). So the OM1 really changed the shape of film SLR's.

Because the OM series was light and small, it was a favourite of folks for whom weight was critical - you didn't want to go hauling big iron like a Nikon up a mountain, unless you needed something to bang nails in with ;-) .

And now, shortly after the E-400 came out, Nikon introduced the D40. Watch the rest follow, if they can.

Are you forgetting the Olympus Pen-F?

Quote Originally Posted by acs View Post
    Why the E-400/410? 'Cos its small, and for some folks that matters.

Wayback last century, when Olympus launched the OM1 film camera. it was the smallest SLR you could buy. And all the other manufacturers followed Olympus' lead (hence Pentax ME's etc.). So the OM1 really changed the shape of film SLR's.

Because the OM series was light and small, it was a favourite of folks for whom weight was critical - you didn't want to go hauling big iron like a Nikon up a mountain, unless you needed something to bang nails in with ;-) .

And now, shortly after the E-400 came out, Nikon introduced the D40. Watch the rest follow, if they can.
    I do believe it was even smaller than the OM-1 (I owned an OM-1, then a couple of successive OM-2s).

But the Pen-F was a half-frame 35mm camera (benefits of small sensor, even then?) that was also an SLR, just deserves mention for its rank as the smallest SLR (that I know of, anyway)
    Let a be your umbrella!

Quote Originally Posted by John_Reed View Post
    I do believe it was even smaller than the OM-1 (I owned an OM-1, then a couple of successive OM-2s).

But the Pen-F was a half-frame 35mm camera (benefits of small sensor, even then?) that was also an SLR, just deserves mention for its rank as the smallest SLR (that I know of, anyway)
    smallest SLR would be the Pentax 110 Auto, but the Olympus Pen F was the smallest practical SLR camera
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Riley

Pentax 110 auto SLR

Wow, I didn't know they made a 110 SLR?

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    smallest SLR would be the Pentax 110 Auto, but the Olympus Pen F was the smallest practical SLR camera
    But why did you say that the Pentax was the smallest, but the Pen F was the smallest "practical" SLR? Maybe because the Pen F used 35mm film and the Pentax must've used 110 cartridges, is that the reason?
    Let a be your umbrella!

Quote Originally Posted by John_Reed View Post
    But why did you say that the Pentax was the smallest, but the Pen F was the smallest "practical" SLR? Maybe because the Pen F used 35mm film and the Pentax must've used 110 cartridges, is that the reason?
    got it in one John
    plus 110 is really tiny, like 3 3/4" long and barely 1 5/8" high without the finder prism. The prime lens is 1 1/8" in diameter. All lenses are F2.8 and the shutter is also the mirror.

where the Pen F is more conventional, except for the same poro mirror assembly that E-300 E-330 and L1 have
    Riley

Pentax 110 auto SLR

small SLRs

Didn't mention Pen F 'cos its half-frame (ie 72 shots on a 36 exposure film). But glad you guys did: I've heard that the zuiko lenses were as good as ever, and that it took great pictures. They did a Pen EE compact as well, father in law had one, his transparencies were very good.
    Sense we're wandering from the subject here...
    ACS

Anyone get their 510, yet? I'm debating whether to buy it as my first DSLR.

Picked up my 2 lens kit Monday to replace my E-500. It was $950 at HH Gregg here in Atlanta. I have had limited chance to play with it. So far i am thrilled with the high ISO performance. 800 is certainly usable for decent sized prints. 1600 would be acceptable for those family/party shots that never get bigger than 5x7 or so. At that size I think the noise would disappear. I have only viewed my few test shots on my laptop. But at ~1024x768 on a 14" display you do not notice the noise until 1600 and then it looks like fine grain.

Live View is a bit disconcerting on a DSLR at first. I think it will be useful as I wanted that feature for IR which is so much easier on P&S cameras because of live LCD's. The LCD is very good and you can certainly hold the camera overhead and out about 10-12 inches. The LCD is not perfect from that position, but I could tell roughly where I was aiming. The magnified focus feature works quite well too.

The new kit lenses look ok and are certainly light, but they are a stop or so slower than those from the E-500. Since they seem to work fine on the E-500 I will probably bundle them with that camera when I pass it to my dad.