Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: E-410/e-510

E-410/e-510

I have been researching the D-SLR market for about two years and have been paying very close attention the the Olympus E-series. I've been dragging my feet all this time and didn't really know why until I opened up a Photography magazine and found the new offering from Olympus - the E-410 and E-510. The feature that made me smile was "Live View".

The confusing part....
    What makes these cameras different? They seem like twins with a $100 price difference. Is this a marketing ploy or are there really some clear, unmistakable upgrades in the E-510?

Warmly,

Sassafras

well i cant give you any sort of detailed list but from what i know this far

the 510 has IS, in body stabilisation, while the 410 has an auto iso boost
    the 510 has a larger grip, is there more battery power ? *shrug

no doubt there is more, but it wont be all that significant i think
    personally, for an additional $100 i think IS is hard to pass up
    Last edited by Riley; 04-16-2007 at 01:41 PM.
    Riley

Pentax 110 auto SLR

Contradictions

Thanks for the quick response.

The magazine I read said that both cameras have the same Stabilization - MIS. But I read the review at this site on the 410 and it says that it has DIS and the 510 has OIS. So,... who's right?

Sass

Talking The Oly E-510 ... why bother with anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    ... no doubt there is more, but it wont be all that significant i think personally, for an additional $100 i think IS is hard to pass up

I tend to agree ... why they even intro'd the Oly E-410 leaves one to wonder what their motivation could have been.

As Long John Silver once silver, during a image shoot:
    "Arrr, Young Jim ... Image Stability ... she be the only way!"
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by IMSassafras View Post
    Thanks for the quick response.

The magazine I read said that both cameras have the same Stabilization - MIS. But I read the review at this site on the 410 and it says that it has DIS and the 510 has OIS. So,... who's right?

Sass
    ok, what theyre saying about 410 is marketing speel
    it doesnt have stabilisation, what it does is increase the iso so that shutter speeds come up to a safe level to avoid camera shake.

i dont know about MIS/DIS, but IS is image stabilisation, OIS is Optical Image Stabilisation, its a Panasonic term and refers to stabilisation in lenses, as opposed to IS which is in the body. The difference between those two, IS will give you slow shutter speeds without blur with any lens, where OIS does the same thing but is only aboard the lens you buy it with.
    (thats a bit simplistic but i hope it helps)
    Last edited by Riley; 04-16-2007 at 02:34 PM.
    Riley

Pentax 110 auto SLR

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I tend to agree ... why they even intro'd the Oly E-410 leaves one to wonder what their motivation could have been.

As Long John Silver once silver, during a image shoot:
    "Arrr, Young Jim ... Image Stability ... she be the only way!"
    their intention is to produce 3 types of camera and lenses from now on.
    S: Small
    G: Enthusiast
    P: Professional

It is obvious there is a lot of parts commonality with E-410/E-510, I think 510 will get a flip LCD upgrade down the track.

The P1 will be significantly different, and we still dont know a lot about it. But if you are into the book of Ruth, my gleaning of it is this

Available from july/august. [August]
    Faster AF, More AF points (maybe 12-14),
    5-6 fps and larger buffer.
    Live preview with more robust screen. [Flip LCD]
    in-body Image stabilisation. [IS]
    at least 10mpix
    Riley

Pentax 110 auto SLR

What about the 1 vs. 2 lens kits? In general it seems that everyone recommends against the "kit" lenses. Is that the case w/ the new lenses coming out w/ this camera or is it still wait and see?

Popular Photography has a review on both camera's in this months issue. I have not read it yet but looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by tonay View Post
    What about the 1 vs. 2 lens kits? In general it seems that everyone recommends against the "kit" lenses. Is that the case w/ the new lenses coming out w/ this camera or is it still wait and see?
    yes, thats because mostly they arnt good, in the case of Olympus the kit lenses arnt too bad, but they are slow at F 3.5-5.6
    out of the twin kit though, the 40-150 is a decent lens at a low price

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/lenses.html
    Riley

Pentax 110 auto SLR

I just pre-ordered the 510 with the 2 lens kit... I have the 500 with the 2 lens kid but the 510 comes with 2 diff lenses. I also have another 14-42 lens that we purchased separately.

I'm really looking forward to the 510 arriving... Ritzcamera told me sometime in the next 2 weeks, but we all know how that goes.