Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Smile New member to the E-300 club

Hi,
    I bought a new Olympus E-300 yesterday in Japan. This is my first DSLR and I had done quite a lot of reading about the various DSLRs. Though I had initially preferred a Canon/Nikon I bought E-300 as it suited my budget.

From the looks of it here, E-300 certainly seems to have a good feedback. dpreview rates it at 4.8/5, one of the best that I had come across.

I am yet to try the camera. I am not sure whether I should go for a 256MB CF or 512 MB CF. I am do not shoot very often. Please guide me on this.

Also any advice/help on how to get some good accessories, updates etc would be of great help.
    Life is short, enjoy it with a smile as long as it lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by The Saint
    I am yet to try the camera. I am not sure whether I should go for a 256MB CF or 512 MB CF. I am do not shoot very often. Please guide me on this.
    First of all, congratulations. Take the time to get well acquainted with the camera, because there is a learning curve with any dSLR. JPEGs aren't tweaked in-camera the same way or degree that you may be familiar with on other cameras, so you should give yourself some time to figure out things.

Also any advice/help on how to get some good accessories, updates etc would be of great help.
    Before you do anything else, recharge the battery and then immediately install the updated Firmware (1.3) by logging on to the Olympus site with Olympus Master, on the CD-ROM that comes with the camera. The firmware update is crucial to correcting some early problems with WB and metering.

As for CF cards, I personally would recommend the Sandisk Extreme III, simply because they're 2x as fast as the nearest competitor (this is another reason for installing the new firmware, since support for the Extreme III cards is in in the firmware upgrade). The faster cards not only let you record more shots more quickly, but more importantly, you don't have to wait so long to look at the shots on the LCD screen after taking them. This is important if you want to check the histogram or blocked out areas. As for size, it's up to you, but realize that SHQ jpegs are over 5MB each, and RAW files are 13MB each, so you'll want to have enough space to handle them.

Best wishes,
    "...and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
    Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Thank You

Thank you. Since I am travelling now I will not be able to update the firmware. I will do so as soon as I reach India. More over the Olympus Master I got with the camera is a Japanese version.

How easy is it to get the accessories, both new as well as used?

Quote Originally Posted by The Saint
    How easy is it to get the accessories, both new as well as used?
    I don't know anything about used accessories, and as for new ones, I suppose that depends on where you are--here in Japan they're easy to find. Anything in specific you're looking for?

Kustom Guest
    I have a related question...

I just got back home from Japan where I bought my camera and tried to install Olympus Master.

But it's only in Japanese (no English option where it should be, according to the online installation manual). And even though I have Japanese support enabled on the computer, it doesn't even display kanas or kanjis, only ????????.

This is really annoying. Do you guys know where to get an English patch or a downloadable English version? I would greatly appreciate a hint ^^

Thank you very much for your assistance.

That's a pain. A lot of things sold here are for the local market only, so they frequently don't include English instructions with them.
    The MASTER installation guide (sheet of folded paper inside the CD ROM envelope) has a list of required hardware/software (listed in English), so you might check there to be sure your setup is proper--It doesn't seem to say anything about necessity of having a Japanese operating system, but I don't believe the program has an English version with it (if it had, I probably would have selected it when I installed mine).
    I've opened the program on my computer, and I find no preferences or tools settings letting the user choose a different language. The ?????? you're seeing is no doubt due to improper character encoding. If it were an ordinary browser page, I'd suggest looking at VIEW -> character encoding, then trying some of the Japanese character codes. It would probably be Shift_JIS, but I'm not sure. Perhaps someone else has the English disc. Unfortunately, everything is done over the Internet (including the all-important firmware update!), so you'll definitely want to get a proper copy.
    You might also ask over on DPReview Oly dSLR forum, since it seems to have the largest population of E-system users. I would also check with Olympus service in your locality/country, since that would be the obvious place to go. Explain to them that you bought the camera in Japan and that it didn't have an English version with it. They should be able to help.
    Also, be sure not to discard the plastic sleeve the disc comes in; it has a yellow label with your serial number on it, and it is necessary for registering the camera (and thus getting firmware updates).

ariw Guest

Language change in Olympus Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kustom
    I have a related question...

I just got back home from Japan where I bought my camera and tried to install Olympus Master.

But it's only in Japanese (no English option where it should be, according to the online installation manual). And even though I have Japanese support enabled on the computer, it doesn't even display kanas or kanjis, only ????????.

This is really annoying. Do you guys know where to get an English patch or a downloadable English version? I would greatly appreciate a hint ^^

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Kustom,
    I know how frustrated it will be to unable to read the Japanese language from the instalation software of Olympus Master, I experinced the same thing when I bought my E300 until I found the solution through Olypus UK

So, please download the patch to change the language from this URL :
    http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/20...0&os=5&result=

Find OM_LANG_ENU.exe to chnage the language into English
    or if you want to change to French or Italian you can find one there

So, install your Olympus Master Japan, then install the patch and it will magically change to English version (however the HELP unfortunately remains in Japanese)

Good luck!

Ari

Quote Originally Posted by ariw
    So, please download the patch to change the language from this URL :
    Ari
    Thanks for that tip, Ari. It worked for me (while i read Japanese, I much prefer to work with software within my own language whenever possible).

Am back

Hi,
    I am back in Japan again & have restarted hunt for lenses.
    I am in Matsumoto area. Can anyone please let me know where I can buy compatible lenses for E300. I wish to build a collection of lenses E-300 as the base, so that I may be able to use the same lenses with a different camera later on.

Also please let me know about where I can buy refurbished lenses from in Japan.