Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Lightbulb D50 "cha" Message

I am a new member. Just joined just now but look forward to being part of the forums.

I got a Nikon D50 in Nov 06 and discovered after 2 months that the "Cha" message appeared and no photos could be taken. I took the camera back to the retailer who swapped over the memory card with another Jessops one.

This week - 2 months later again - the same thing has happened. I thought it meant the battery was not charged and charged it up fully.

This did not help. I took it back to the shop today and this time I have a Sandusk card and the minute I put it into the camera it worked.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there anything else it could be?
    I am mystified by this and because I am still getting to know the camera and really enjoy using it so I was reluctant to let it be sent away for repair as I honestly don't think it is the camera. Otherwise it would not have worked instantly when the new
    card was inserted.

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

The forums look very interesting and I guess there's a lot of different levels of experience out there.

Thanks for any help.

Check out these links:

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19887

http://community.dcmag.co.uk/forums/thread/234984.aspx

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=22407190

It would appear to be a memory card issue, either improperly seated or a bunk card. Or just simply reformat the dang thing and it might be no longer an issue.
    Last edited by cdifoto; 04-15-2007 at 02:23 PM.
    Ouch.

Might sound unimportant but blow inside the memory card carriage to make sure there isnt any dust or small particles in there interfering with the contacts.

Welcome to the forum!
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by jcon View Post
    Might sound unimportant but blow inside the memory card carriage to make sure there isnt any dust or small particles in there interfering with the contacts.

Welcome to the forum!
    Would that be with or without saliva?
    Nikon D90 | Sigma 10-20 HSM | DX 18-105 f3.5-5.6 VR | DX 55-200 VR | 35 f/2.0 D | 50 f/1.4 D | 85mm F/1.8 D | SB-800 x 3 | SU-800
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Flickr | Twitter

I'll leave that decision up to the user.
    Jason

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

"cha" message

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum.

Unfortunately I have tried all these methods listed. Including blowing (no saliva!) into the card slot on the camera and also the card. Did not work.

I have a feeling it might be Jessops own memory cards at fault - who knows - maybe the camera just does not like them.

I was loathe to send away my camera so glad I didn't. Will take it from here and see how it goes.

Cheers.

Get yourself a decent memory card.
    Jason

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Decent Memory Card

Thank you Jason for your advice.
    What would you consider to be a decent one. I have only tried Jessops and Sandusk at 29.99.

Cheers

I would recommend Sandisk or Lexar; if you're still having problems with one of those major brands, the problem is probably in the camera.
    "...and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
    Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Quote Originally Posted by Norm in Fujino View Post
    I would recommend Sandisk or Lexar; if you're still having problems with one of those major brands, the problem is probably in the camera.
    Add Kingston to that list as well. I have all three brands in my bag right now and haven't had problems with any of them.