Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bird in flight?

Bluebren,

I have trouble hitting a bird in flight with both eyes open using a 12 ga shotgun. I've decided to go for it and just placed an order with Amazon, $395 today. Their prices change often and I don't know why.

I think I'll enjoy this little dude. Most actual user reviews are quite good except for low light indoors. The pros found a lot not to like but I don't think they care much about the portability. To me, that's what it's about,......having the camera with you.

Early impressions

I just took delivery on my TX1 hybrid after nearly a year trying to decide between it and the S5 IS. I wanted a new camera for a late February trip to the National Elk Refuge in Wyoming. Frankly, I was leaning toward the S5 up until the last minute because of the great reviews, especially of the videos. The TX1, on the other hand, doesn't get especially good reviews from the pros. Users, however, tend to like it. The TX1 was bashed especially hard because of poor handling characteristics.

When crunch time came and I had to make a choice, I decided that since both cameras had about the same features, that I would choose based on size. I've learned long ago that I do not like to carry a camera bag around,....ever. On the other hand, when something fits in my shirt pocket, I nearly always have it available.

I've had the TX1 only a day and have only taken practice videos and stills with it. Nevertheless, I've formed some impressions. Although the HD videos didn't enter into my decision, I find them amazing on my HD TV and am afraid I'm hooked for good on HD. Stills are also excellent, just as good as on my Canon A720. The knocks on the TX1 of memory gobbling video files and short battery life were easily cured by a couple of extra batteries and 3 8gb SDHC cards.

I was worried about handling features since one of my uses is taking videos of my bird dogs when I'm quail hunting. This means one handed use. I decided that the S5 wouldn't even be with me on a hunting trip so the TX1 was possibly better even for that. I will admit that one handed use will be a challenge but I think it will work. With two hands, this little unit is easy to operate, zoom etc, and is very steady. The IS is typical Canon, excellent.

Not sure why the TX1 was not more popular with consumers, probably a combination of price and intimidating professionl reviews. I can tell you candidly that I really like this camera and consider it a good value.

Teleconverter function

I'm sort of chasing my own tail in this thread since there doesn't seem to be much interest here in the TX1,.....I can only say that I'm finding it to be an amazing little camera.

I tried the teleconverter function yesterday. To use either 1.5 or 1.9 zoom, you must be in 640/480. I had thought that this function would only work in still but it works in video as well. It's amazing that you can get essentially 15 or 19 power zoom videos of very high quality. That could be very useful to wildlife photographers.

The only problem I've had so far is handling with one hand but I'm gaining on that. Two handed operation, steadying with the left hand on the LCD, is a snap and you can hold the little camera steady as a rock.

Bumping this back up to report that this camera continues to grow on me, though I must admit to it's limitations. Despite practice, I am simply not able to operate this camera in video mode with one hand as I had hoped I could do. It's okay until I start zooming, then a jiggle sets in. Stills are a snap with one hand.

I worked around the battery life by purchasing a couple of extras and a charger that works in the car. Amazon had all the above for $37 total. I also bought a couple of 8GB SDHC Extreme 111 cards from Adorama. These give about 30 min of HD video each.

One limitation that hasn't been as bad as I expected is the small LCD. It's very bright and sharp. Once you start using it you kind of forget how small it is.

The best part of the camera is the build factor,....like a tank,....and the size. You will likely always have this one with you instead of home on the shelf. Image quality is typical Canon, both stills and videos, HD and SD. Image stabilization if excellent.