Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Canon Tx1, User Comments

As usual, Jeff did a very thorough review of the Canon TX1 and covered all the bases, clearly stating the positives and negatives to this hybrid.

Although the limitations of this little camera such as large file size, noise at higher ISOs, battery life, price etc would be deal breakers for some, these particular things don't affect me much. I will shoot only a few minutes of video each day and download frequently. Extra batteries and extra SDHC cards would seem to cure most of the ills for me.

The deal breaker that I suppose I'll just have to wait and see about, is the ergonomics of the TX1. I expect that I'll initially need two hands to turn the camera on and open the screen but I'm hoping I can then operate it on and off, still and video, and zoom with only one hand.

It's early in the game and I'll probably repost this in June but if any of you have actual experience with this camera, I'd appreciate your comments. Thanks!

I'll be looking for this cool gadget at Costco or other local store. I'd like to be able to try it first hand and be able to return it easily if I dont like it. I wonder if it lets you shoot video without having to flip out the LCD viewfinder. Besides saving a little battery life, it would make it a little more manueverable.

Do you think a class 2 sdhc card will be good enough for it at least as a short term option?
    Last edited by Brian92; 04-20-2007 at 11:26 AM.

Hi Brian,

Interesting question about whether the TX1 will work without screen being open. I've often thought that all these LCD only cameras w/o optical viewers could use a peep sight arrangement on the top like rifles have. Not only would it save on battery but there are times with some cameras when the screen is not visible. A little peep sight wouldn't add to the size appreciably.

There are extensive discussions on SDHC cards on the Digital Photography Review forum. I've never gone wrong buying the fastest card available.

Amazon says the TX1 will be released on May 31st. I really don't expect Costco to carry these but they might. I'm sure Best Buy, Circuit City and all the other usual suspects will have them. DP Review also has a few UK users that are posting their impressions of this camera. Most users like it more than Jeff did as far as handling qualities go.

dbrad Guest
    I'm guessing it will work without the LCD extended since it plays back with it folded screen side out.

I agree about the video file size and battery life not being a problem; I found what I believe is a class 6 (class 2 might work as long as its HDSC) RiData 4 gig card for less than $40 on newegg. I have had good experiences with this brand, too.

I'm personally thrilled about the mjpeg video format. This looks like exceptional video quality in a tiny package- a longtime dream of mine. 13 minutes is a ridiculous amount of time at which point changing a card is a minor trade-off for the convenience for something this size. I don't plan on shooting too much HD anyway, but I wish Jeff had compared the LP and standard image quality.

Amazon may be playing it safe. It is shipping in parts of Asia, and Canon has told several US retailers April.

I prepaid for one on videodirect.com in early March (something I've never done before) for $479 shipped, and they tell me I'm early in the cue, so I hope to be able to report on it shortly.

David

The TX1 began shipping to a small number of US dealers last week. I posted a quick first impression review and some clips at AVS Forums...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=840974

David,

Good tip on Videodirect.com. That's about $20 less than others are selling the TX1 for. I'll be looking forward to hearing how you like the camera.

If anyone hears of a reputable company that actually has the TX1 in stock, I'd sure like to hear about it. Thanks!

Still pondering but getting closer

I'm still pondering the TX1, 10 months after I started this thread. I've given up on finding one to look at and hold so will probably just take a chance and order one out from Amazon. I've pretty well rationalized away the reported faults with the camera,....all but one. The tiny LCD still spooks me.

Do any of you have any strong opinions one way or another about the LCD, especially for outdoor use in bright sun?

Thanks!