Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Cool standard lens on s3 is or lens attachments??

I am debating about buying a raynox tele photo lens so that I can attach filters to the front, but am thinking would I take more photo just with the standard camera lens. The reason i am wondering is because otherwise I need to buy 67mm filters for the raynox, but only 58mm for the standard. Any suggestions anyone what do you think I would get more use of??
    Also thinking do I buy all the extras ie filters, raynox telephoto and wide converter or do I buy a new slr or d-slr.
    Last edited by linzyloo; 02-17-2008 at 03:57 AM.

If all you want to do is put filters on go to http://www.lensmateonline.com and get the adapter tube. It will allow you to screw on the filters
    40D 28-135 IS USM, 70-200 f4L IS,, 18-50 f2.8, 430 EX II, Canon S3

“Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

“The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance.”

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by linzyloo View Post
    I am debating about buying a raynox tele photo lens so that I can attach filters to the front, but am thinking would I take more photo just with the standard camera lens. The reason i am wondering is because otherwise I need to buy 67mm filters for the raynox, but only 58mm for the standard. Any suggestions anyone what do you think I would get more use of??
    I use my Raynox DCR-1540PRO quite a bit, it's very sharp and the extra reach is nice for wildlife and vacation pics. I don't have any filters for the 67mm end, though ... about the only one I think I'd want is a polarizer.

The rest of my filters are 52mm (matching the adapter and the attachment end of the Raynox T/C).

Quote Originally Posted by linzyloo View Post
    Also thinking do I buy all the extras ie filters, raynox telephoto and wide converter or do I buy a new slr or d-slr.
    That really depends on how much $$$ you have to spend.

A DSLR isn't just a camera, it's a *system* and there will ALWAYS be more lenses and more accessories to buy. DSLR lenses can be *very* pricey ... many times the cost of an S3/S5 with a couple of filters/lenses for just a single Canon "L" lens (consider a Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Autofocus Lens is $1059 from B&H!!)

Of course, the S3/S5 can't touch the IQ of a good DSLR with an L lens, but is the better quality *really* worth the price difference to you? Only you know your finances well-enough to answer that....
    Canon Powershot S3 IS
    Lensmate 52mm adapter and Hoya UV filter, Quantaray CPL, Raynox DCR-1540PRO and Raynox DCR-250