Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question lenses for Pentax 100

Hi chaps, again Gintaras,
    First of all thanks for your inputs on camera choice (Canon vs Pentax vs Nikon).
    It looks I made my choice and I am leaning towards Pentax K100. I compared reviews and pix posted and it seems there is no huge difference, both Canon XTi and Pentax 100 do fine job. I also checked out Nikon 80 (instead of shrank D40) which does fine, but then itís too bulky and costs more (body).

Now that camera issue was resolved I got another important Q about Pentax lenses. I have a choice to take k100 body only or k100 set with kit lenses DA 18-55mm and DA 50-200mm for fairly competitive price.

I read something about fast lenses from Pentax compared to kit lenses. I will be using this camera for standstills, portraits, and night/indoor shooting. No sports action shooting.

Can you recommend me which Pentax lenses would be better for me?

Thanks in advance

While I am not totally at home in the Pentax lens world, I do know that the kitlens is not a very good lens.
    It would be better if you would choose a lens that has better optical quality, if will for sure be noticable in your photos.

The Pentax 16-45mm f4 is a very nice lens. At B&H it goes for around $300 after rebates, I do not know where you live.

The 50-200 is ok, but not more than that. You might want to look at the Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro instead, it probably has better quality in the same range, and offers more reach, and has a nice 1:2 macro mode.

If you can not find the Pentax 16-45mm f4, a Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DC Macro may also be a nice lens to try.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Coldrain, thanks for help.

i reside in Austria so no problem to find Pentax lenses, prices are higher however. The US is a paradise for shoppers, wish I have a trip to Miami but looks not in near future.

I confess I am still between Xti and k100, although putting my hands on both I concur I felt more at home with Pentax. But if you have good suggestions for Canon lenses I am all ears.