Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Canon S1 Close Up?

With such a large zoom is seems like the Canon S1 would have trouble with close up pictures. My problem is I'd use the zoom for the travel I do as well as portraits. Which leads me to my problem, would it have any trouble taking close up photo?

It really depends on how close is close and just what you wanted to photograph. At wide angle, Jeff's review says you can take shots as close as 10 cm (4 in) at full wide angle and 93 cm (3 ft) at full telephoto.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schnoor
    It really depends on how close is close and just what you wanted to photograph. At wide angle, Jeff's review says you can take shots as close as 10 cm (4 in) at full wide angle and 93 cm (3 ft) at full telephoto.
    I have an S1 - surely it's not a macro-master, but I don't really know where that 10 cm is measured from: I could take sharp pictures of things just a few cm (let's say 5, but maybe less) from the lens. Of course you get quite distorted images that close.
    At full tele the closest is really around 1 m.

Bye, Kris

Normally, the 10 cm is measured from the film/sensor plane near the back of the camera, so the front of the lens could very well have been 5 cm from your object.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schnoor
    Normally, the 10 cm is measured from the film/sensor plane near the back of the camera, so the front of the lens could very well have been 5 cm from your object.
    Thanx. Although I've heard about this way of measuring, what mixed me up a bit is that some cameras are said to have 1 cm macro? That would mean you photograph the dust inside the lens...
    I must think the metering by different manufacturers are not consequent.

Yes, I agree about that ambiguity in measuring the minimum distance for taking a photo.

I have a Nikon Coolpix 990 & 995 which state the 1 cm macro distance and I do believe that it is actually measured from the front of the lens in this case. I also have a Nikon Coolpix 5400 which I think has a mark on the side of the camera which lets you know where the film plane is located, so I assume that the macro distance is measured from that mark on this camera. I don't have the camera with me right now, so I might have it mixed up with the D70, which definitely has a film plane mark on the top of the camera since I am looking at it right now.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that the manufacturers are going to agree on this if they can't even agree on what type of memory(film) to use or to list maximum resolution as an interpolated # or as actual resolution of the sensor.