Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

I took some pictures with the Sony!

Here they are-please be kind
    The first shot is sunset behind the mountains west of my neighborhood.
    The next shot was taken at the stadium near my home where the Kansas City Royals and the Texas Rangers have their spring training.
    The third shot was taken from my backyard at sunset the other evening. I have a tiny slice of a view of the mountains beyond. Just wish I had an observation deck!!!
    Thanks for looking
    Kathy
    Not sure which thing to copy-tag line, url, html ???

Last edited by klh54; 03-08-2007 at 08:26 PM.

Nice work, Kathy.

Wish we had something here to take. Illinois is slowly drying out from a long winter's nap and soon ... real soon, I hope, spring will provide something noteworthy ... other than violent storms.

You might try cropping #1 down a bit, lengthwise, to remove the negative space in the foreground. There is really nothing there to look at.

I don't know ... what do you think?

I found the scraggly tree or bush on the right a bit distracting. Try and trim that kind of stuff out ... to centralize your image's intent ... which is, of course, that great sunset.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-09-2007 at 08:35 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Yes,

Don, I do agree with you on the tree being distracting and the foreground offering nothing to see. I'm not good at composing my shots yet...guess it's all those years of trying to take pictures of my kids when they were small who were not very patient or willing subjects. Believe it or not that sunset pic was taken from a shopping center parking lot during rush hour traffic. Trying to find a spot to take a picture with no distracting light poles, telephone poles, trees, houses, stadium light poles, etc. is a daunting task in my suburbia Thanks for the cc!
    Kathy

Afterwards ... and the sun is gone

Kathy,

Composing a shot is always the challenge. With the shot you provided ... you could have easily done it post-process (Photoshop Elements or something similiar). It's no big thing, as long as you don't chop too much, then blow it up.

In fact, with this crop, the image looks more like a panorama ... and an obvious crop, due to sizing. That happens with horizon-type shots ... too much sky, too much foreground ... they have to go.

And hey, it is alway easier to criticize (constructively) some one else's work, than it is to do your own. A second pair of eyes can be a real boon. Don't take it from me, though ... ask another second pair. I insist. We all learn something as we snap our next shutter.

I remember racing around, struggling to snap this beautiful sky we were having ... and desperately just looking for a clear horizon. C'mon ... in Chicago? As if! Telephone poles, hanging wires, signs as far as the eye could see. Welcome to the real world ...

To get something like that, HERE ... you need elevation ... a tower. We have a tall one that looks West, but it is twenty miles away, out in Oakbrook ... hardly time to run down there and shoot, that's for sure.

Just keep shooting away and you can trim them up, later on, to look perfect.

The most important thing that I have found, though, is to just ...

GET THE SHOT!

Silhouettes are an artform unto themselves. I took a few, many years ago ... and here's one of my favorites, using a single light source.

"Where the sun never shines!"

Last edited by DonSchap; 03-09-2007 at 08:32 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Once

again if you posted a picture I cannot see it. But I have been playing around with cropping my pictures from yesterday and once I get them cleaned up I will post again. I don't have (cover your ears)...Photoshop I do have Microsoft Digital Suite 10 and it works nicely. As I was editing my photos I was just struck again by the wonder of God's creation. I love capturing His world on film, even if my skills are elementary at this point
    TGIF!
    Kathy

shhh ...

Quote Originally Posted by klh54 View Post
    I love capturing His world on film, even if my skills are elementary at this point
    TGIF!
    Kathy
    It's not film ... shhh, it's a secret. We updated to memory modules ... saving a little time and money. j/k ... kinda, not ... uh

BTW: I will drop a link-out for the image on the posting.

EDIT: I just realized that you did NOT see my edit/crop your #1. I have reposted with it "linked-out". Please read back through the thread. THanks

When it comes to "cropping", you can even creatively do it with MS Paint (standard accessory on Windows). Editting software is a bit more .. involved ... and really should be a part of every digital photographers "tool bag." I would argue that it is equally as important as the camera itself. Look at it this way: It would be hard to edit film-based images ... without a dark room. Same with digital ... you need a "digital darkroom." You gotta love this stuff!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-09-2007 at 08:41 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Very

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    It's not film ... shhh, it's a secret. We updated to memory modules ... saving a little time and money. j/k ... kinda, not ... uh

BTW: I will drop a link-out for the image on the posting.

EDIT: I just realized that you did NOT see my edit/crop your #1. I have reposted with it "linked-out". Please read back through the thread. THanks

When it comes to "cropping", you can even creatively do it with MS Paint (standard accessory on Windows). Editting software is a bit more .. involved ... and really should be a part of every digital photographers "tool bag." I would argue that it is equally as important as the camera itself. Look at it this way: It would be hard to edit film-based images ... without a dark room. Same with digital ... you need a "digital darkroom." You gotta love this stuff!
    funny, Don. Guess it proves that you can take the "film" out of the camera but you can never take the "terms" away from us dinosaur photo takers !! Thanks for showing me the possible crop of my sunset photo. I do agree, it has a panoramic feel. I still haven't uploaded my crops of those pictures yet. But getting to it sometime today

Smile Unnaturally yours ...

A lot of photographers tend to grab the easy shot ... and not force nature. I, on the other hand, tend to use my photography to force nature and imply a deeper meaning. With a bag full of optical filters ... and the magic of Photoshop... the ordinary ain't ordinary any more!

"Forged In Thought"

I like to think I'm lifting it to more of an art-style than simply a record of events, but we all have our nuances. THe past month or so has be hard due to winter-injuries, school and just darn little time left for much experimentation. I'm hoping, as thing warm up, again, it will allow for a bit more time to do that which I like ... which is to try and be creative to my own ends.

I wish you the best in your photographic efforts and recovery, down south. I know you will enjoy what the SONY can return ... and be on the look out for good glass and flashes, to offer some more flexibility in your craft.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-09-2007 at 02:10 PM.

flickr & Sdi

The 1st and 2nd are nice. I like the way the tree is in the way. It breaks rules.

Shots are nicely exposed - you should create a flickr album so we can see the full size of the image!
    Best of Both worlds:
    dSLR: Sony a100 dSLR w/ kit lens (18-70mm)
    Minolta Lens Collection: 28-80mm xi, 70-210mm
    Point and Shoot: Sony DSC-T11

My photo portfolio

My Flickr

Two thumbs up on your pics, you'll have a blast with the a100 and the best part is shoot away being digital. Not like the film ball and chain around your camera days.