Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SONY's new lens

Exclamation SONY's new lens

Well, it's pretty obvious that SONY is in with TAMRON. Of the twelve new lenses that will be offered in the coming season, the new SONY AF18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 XR LD Aspherical (IF) is one of them. Sound familiar?

Make mine TAMRON ... LOL
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

Thumbs up

Was buying another A100 just for the lens it brings DT18-200mm got the other kit but if there´s a new one coming out soon i might wait.
    Definatly very satisfied with this machine, was between A100 and Nikon D80 but the price diference and the features made me decide.
    Sony A100 + DT18-70mm + Sigma 70-300mm with 1,4 Conversor.

Talking Hang on ...

Yeah, SONY's new DT18-250 is an updated and extended version of the DT18-200. Definitely worth the wait, I'd say, unless you can get a deal on it.

Personally, I've ordered my TAMRON-version direct, which gives me a jump on using this lens. Also, it has TAMRON's 6-year warranty. I don't know if the SONY will carry the same one. I still haven't received it, yet. The Nikon and Canon versions hit the street back in March.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-12-2007 at 11:45 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

I´ll wait for those, the price is much less if they come with the machine that´s why i was considering of buying another A100 with these on the 18-200 kit, the lens is around 550 euros and if they come with the A100 the kit goes to 1080 euros wich is like buying the machine alone for around 500 euros ...
    To avoid dust while exchanging lens i´d have one with the 300mm and the other with 18-200 but if there´s a new machine coming out soon it might carry one of these 18-250 lens so maybe it´s better waiting.
    Wonderfull machine by the way.

Thumbs down Rough weather ahead ...

Got my new TAMRON AF18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 XR DiII LD Aspherical (IF), yesterday, and the weather here is unbelievably horrid, today (4/11/2007)! Even the geese are running for cover ... because they can't fly in this frozen, gloppy soup.

Honestly, you could take shots with a god-awful lens, today, and you would not be able to tell the difference between it and primo stuff.

Anyway, from what I can tell ... so far, it shoots new and true. I'm to test for shake levels later ... see if I can hit the 1/15 sec handheld barrier, at f/3.5 ... while jumping up and down. LOL Okay, okay, just kidding.

I figure I go to S-Mode and set for 15. Then ... shutter away as the location permits.

Anyway, stay tuned ... I have great expectations from this little 15 oz. beauty.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-12-2007 at 11:47 AM.

flickr® & Sdi

Congratulations on your new lens, the pic you took is amazing by the way, i´ll be waiting here to see what time will bring, for now i´m done.

Thumbs up Yeah, baby!

Okay ...

Here's my SONY A100 w/ the new Dicain VG-1 & and the 18-250mm mounted.

Battlefield Ready!
    Name:  A100-w-VG1-18-250.jpg
Views: 3320
Size:  210.5 KB

Last edited by DonSchap; 04-12-2007 at 11:49 AM.

flickr® & Sdi

My mouth is watered seeing the vertical grip. Congrats. Next item in my bag, noooooo doubt.
    Ti eukolon? To allo hupotithestai

Talking Hey, getta grip!

I toyed with the VG-1 last night and was quite impressed how it just fit my hand so well. Ergonomically, the shutter release button feels right where it should be, so there is no hunting. It really is a nice addition to the camera and doesn't weigh much, unlike the BG-E2 for the Canon EOS 20D/30D. True, you still only have one battery as a source, where the BG-E2 has two (mostly because lens-based IS does have some additional current draw, when used over long periods of time).

I really need to get to a scale and weigh these two cameras for an accurate report of what it takes to carry them. Perhaps the local post office might work for that.

I then did some shooting at 1/10 and 1/5-sec ... and upon inspection, that was requesting a little too much from the stability capability. Happily, 1/15th-second was right on time, though (No pun intended).

flickr® & Sdi

Let me ask you

Don, let me ask you, how do you feel the grip compared to the camera's?
    Ti eukolon? To allo hupotithestai