Hi everyone :

Right now I'm in the middle of deciding to buy my dream lens : a 70-200! Fellow readers, please help me decide between these lenses. Any comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Lenses in order of preference :

1. EF 70-200 f/2.8

Why I didn't get this lens yet : Not weather sealed. Not a big issue. Still my favourite lens

2. EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS

Why I didn't get this lens yet : Three copies of this lens that I tried have a bad case of purple fringing. Anyone have a good copy of this lens? Is the IS version any good at all? Reviews at Photozone indicated that this lens suffered from chronic QC issues

3. EF 70-200 f/4 IS

Why I didn't get this lens yet : Still deciding on the above. This lens competes heavily with f/2.8. According to Photozone, this lens is very sharp. That's why I'm split between 70-200 f/2.8's large aperture, and 70-200 f/4's sharpness. For comparison between these two lenses, please visit http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...9&LensComp=242

4. Sigma 70-200 f/2.8

Why I didn't get this lens yet : My friend's lens (Nikon mount) suffers from softness at f/2.8. User reviews at FredMiranda suggests that not all Sigma suffer from this issue. Maybe someone would like to share a crop of your Sigma taken at f/2.8? Thank you.

I need to have this lens before June, since I'd be using it extensively during that month (and many years to come ) If Tamron manages to release their 70-200 f/2.8 before then, better. If not, then I guess I'm stuck between these big four. Thank you very much!

And finally, I have a question : Would you prefer a slightly unsharp picture with a good bokkeh, or a sharp picture with a slightly bad bokkeh? (This, of course, refers to the f/2.8 and the f/4 IS above )

Cheers!

ILT