Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Under $1,000 - Nikon/Canon/Olympus/Pentax?

I've been browsing for several days, trying to figure out which D-SLR to get for under $1000 (cheaper is better), but the more I browse, the more uncertain I get. It's hard to weight in all the features for what I want to do.

On a whim, is there anything you guys recommend? I'm trying to stick to Strobist standards, using off-camera lighting (strobes, speedlights)... So, preferably, I'm trying to find a cam that supports triggering flashes wirelessly, and that does a great job overall.

I was looking at the Nikon D40 at first (the price helped make this one appealing), but now I'm not sure if it can handle what I'm looking to do with lighting.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Dario D.; 04-06-2007 at 09:40 PM.

I'd avoid the d40 due to a few issues including lack of support for af-d lenses, poor AF performance and in general "cheap" quality.

The d80 has a built-in wireless flash commander mode which is really nice. Can do wireless flash with 2 SB-600's then instead of needing to buy a SB800 and 2 SB600s

Tim

Hmm, I see. Thanks for the insight. And what about the Pentax K10D (review)? I'm really digging this camera right now. It seems to have it all (can't find anything on wireless Commander Mode or PC Connection though), though it actually has IS and supposedly a great selection of accessories.

Well, right now you can pickup a 2 lens kit Olympus E500 for under $700. That will leave your $1000 budget room for a good flash, camera bag and 4-5 GB of memory.

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by kgosden View Post
    Well, right now you can pickup a 2 lens kit Olympus E500 for under $700. That will leave your $1000 budget room for a good flash, camera bag and 4-5 GB of memory.
    Agreed. The Olympus system seems quite good now and well established. I lke the fact that they have such a lot of really good glass now.

As for off-camera wireless flash, you might also try one of the cheap wireless flash triggers available on e-bay.
    "...and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
    Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Quote Originally Posted by timmciglobal View Post
    I'd avoid the d40 due to a few issues including lack of support for af-d lenses, poor AF performance and in general "cheap" quality.
    I don't know where people get off saying it has poor AF performance...? Especially for the OP's needs. And "cheap" quality is something Nikon has never provided in their camera bodies. I can name 1 or 2 other models that fall well into that category (and they aren't Nikon).

That aside, since he wants wireless strobes, he's going to have to buy a wireless remote to attach to his camera anyway (or simply trigger the strobes with onboard flash). That puts just about every dSLR on equal footing.

This means the K10D (which he's interested in at the moment) is a fine choice.

The K10d has banding issues and is very poor for "underexposure" I wouldn't recommend it.

Sorry but the banding issue destroys it for me and I've experienced it first hand on TWO bodies 6 month's apart. It is a reality.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timmciglobal View Post
    The K10d has banding issues
    Just some info for the OP about the "banding" issue you mention...a quote from a K10D user who did some tests and reported about it...

It would appear that the banding will occur when the R, G and B values are below 13 in an 8-bit per channel JPG when you do severe pushing like in my example and it will occur when the R, G and B values are below 6 when doing moderate pushing. and after a bit more experimentation ... it would appear that high saturation set on the camere would cause a greator chance of banding to occur... as this could clip channels in the dark regions as well as the bright regions and desaturation tends to make the banding near invisible or completely invisible.
    So, what I'm getting out of it is that it's not very apparent unless you are adjusting levels/brightness/contrast/highlight/shadows/you name it, quite a bit. I recommend the OP do some more research on this before choosing the K10D, because it might be a problem for him (and it might not).

Thanks for pointing that out. I will indeed be doing tons and tons of post-processing to almost all of my shots that are chosen for use. Can you provide a link to where you got that info? I'm going to look it up and Google and see what else I can learn about, because I'd really like the camera if the banding won't bother me (crosses fingers). 'Gonna read some more about it.