Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question SONY JPG vs Photoshop Elements

Today, under overcast skies, I stopped by Winnetka (around 1:15pm) and grabbed a couple shots off the Salt Creek.

A trio of geese swung by and I snapped a couple of posed shots and a candid. Yeah, as if.

Here is the standard SONY JPEG and Photshop Element's version with standard sharpening (on the right).

Name:  goose guy 2.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  229.3 KB
    SONY A100 w/ TAMRON 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD
    @ 180mm - f/4.5 - 1/320 sec - ISO-160 - 0 step EC

I let the SONY A100 Auto-Program take this shot ... as I was literally hanging out of my truck window and not in the mood to fiddle with the controls, mainly due to the fact the light was quite adequate for this and the birds weren't really all that aggresive.

100% Crop ... sharpening set to 41 - 4.1pixels - 0 levels

Name:  Goose-guy-crop-2.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  203.8 KB

My son says he prefers the unenhanced image better, as I let Elements make its own corrections.

Personally, I think Photoshop introduced a little too much Cyan in my estimation. Instead of black ... I've got steel blue on the bird's head.

Basically, I shot this the way a newbie might ... with minimal interference with Photoshop. In effect, what you can expect from the camera on a routine basis.

Comments?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-07-2007 at 04:16 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Question Ok, what is this?

What is this ... some kind of weird image trick?

Name:  What-IsThis.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  230.3 KB

Uh. no ... it's this ... in landscape mode.

Name:  What-IsThis-2.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  228.3 KB

Yes, those be ducks ... duckin'! Looking for "submarine" sandwiches, I suspect.

Name:  everybody-UP.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  225.6 KB

OKAY ... Everybody UP! Meal break is over.

Last edited by DonSchap; 04-07-2007 at 06:54 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I'll agree with your son Was this enhancement AUTO? Like an auto correction?
    Ti eukolon? To allo hupotithestai

im more prefer the sony standard jpeg , it looks more natural , is it??

yep Though I usually cool it down a bit in the post process. I've come to like it better that way, just a bit.
    Ti eukolon? To allo hupotithestai

Smile The natural side of Photography

It's usually a toss-up with nature shots.

I tend to think the SONY's version is full-spectrum color and the Photoshop-version reminds me a lot of what the Canon EOS 20D delivers with Canon lensing. It seems a little sterile. Judgement call, of course.

flickr & Sdi