Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

NEWBIE Seeking Suggestions for SLR CAM

Well im really glad i found this website cause i certainly have a few
    questions , ive recently began my search for my very first digital camera.
    Initially i was planning on just buying a point and shoot camera and then
    decided the heck with that and get straight into the SLR . I just have a
    few questions thats all on which camera would be my best bang for the
    bucks since im seeking my first slr camera. Ive basically narrowed my choices
    down to the Nikkon D40X , Nikkon D40 , or the Nikkon D80 . I like them all really. except im having abit of troubles with the bundled packages. For myself i would like to take up close pictures and of course far way pictures like for baseball games or even football games. Any maybe the odd wide angle picture for some mountain scenery . I dont really want to spend $2000.00 . but eventally with all the lenses im sure $2000.000 would easliy be spent over time. But for the right now . I want something with good quality that allows for some up close and far away pics. any help and suggestions on some good lens would be great appreciated. thanks.

C

If you can afford it definitely get the D80
    Nikon D90, D40 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
    Vertical Grip, SB-600, SB-24, Sunpak 433D, Metz 40AF-4N, Alienbees CyberSync Triggers

R3G Media | Flickr

"You're pulling some awesome action shots with a cam and lens that are supposed to be rubbish ! " - Rooz

If you plan on upgrading lenses in the future, get the D80, it has a much better list of lenses that will autofocus than the D40 or D40x. If you are just looking for something cheap to buy and not upgrade the glass, then the D40 line will be fine for you.

I would suggest the D80 with a nice lens and an SB-600 flash to start out.
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

SB-600 flash

Is the SB-600 flash mostly for indoor type pictures? I don't really
    see myself taking many indoor pictures right away maybe in the future.
    I have 3 trips planned this coming year and most of em will be out doors.
    If i can get away with the stock flash that would be just fine.

If you can afford it, I would also say go for the D80. Maybe a body only deal and a good general purpose lens, like an 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor (pricey; $850). Just a general suggestion; I'll let those with more hands-on knowledge of Nikon lensing give you more specific advice.
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF(...or not)

D80

Well the D80 packages ive been looking at are as follows.

Nikon D80 Digital w/18-70mm DX $1499.00

Nikon D80 Digital w/18-135mm DX $1419.00

this is canadain prices !

Just not sure which lens would better benfit me for the right now.

Well, all I know is that reviews on Amazon are much more glowing concerning the 18-70mm. From the sound of it, the 18-135mm has some focus/quality issues, but the 18-70mm sounds nice and sharp. Now, that's not going to give you a whole darn lot more telephoto than my 18-55mm, but would indeed be a nice general purpose lens.
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

Barrel distortion at the 18 end of the 18-70, is significant. If you plan to take a lot of architectural shots at the wide end, could be a concern for you.
    - Rich

Nikon: D50, 18-70mm, 50mm, 70-200vr
    Kenko: 12mm, 20mm, 36mm Ext Tubes
    Manfrotto: 486RC2
    Benro: A-327 tripod

My Flickr Photos Here

barrel distortion is noticeable on both lenses. And the 18-135 does not have focusing issues that I'm aware of. There are many people happy with it's fast and accurate capability.

Overall, the 18-70 might be a slightly better performer. But, the 18-135 makes up for it in range.

I would definitely recommend the D80. If you want to save money, the 18-135 offers a nice range. But, if you want to separate your lenses into your shooting categories, get two lenses (1 for your closeup and 1 for your range)...

I suppose you could get the Sigma 70-300 APO DG, which is noted as a macro lens (if only mildly so). Then the 18-70 kit would complement it perfectly.

It really depends on your budget.

What I've heard: the 18-135 can be slow, has some distortion throughout its range. The 18-70 is supposed to be sharper than usual at its long end and widest aperture.

But reviews on places like Amazon must be taken with a grain of salt... people like to blow off steam when they spend bucks on something that's not exactly as they expected.
    Nikon D40 + kit lens