Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Threaded View

Greetings to everyone

Greetings to everyone. I've just joined this forum hoping to have great feedbacks with all members of this forum.
    Well, enough of saluting! A brief history of me, photographically-wise.
    I am realtively new regarding taking pics, actively and regularly, that is. I got my first point and shoot about 8 years ago. The first two years were quite uneventfu, except for shooting non stop. Afterwards I started upgrading almost twice a year mainly because I was advancing in giant leaps, technically and, should I dare say so?, artistically. I was hooked, I had a severe case of the shutter bug! I was demanding more and more of the subsequent point and shoots that I was owning.
    Up until this point, I never considered a dslr. I just did not need it, those were for the pros and the snobs, right? The last point and shoot that I owned was the Sony H5, an excellent camera may I add. It took me about 6 months of using this camera and extracting every single drop out of it, to realize that I needed a dslr. So it began an extensive research. I must stop here to tell you about a particular trait of mine: all that I care about is results. I do not buy brands, I do not follow trends blindly, I am not loyal to any brand (are they loyal to your?), all I care about is...you guessed it, results. I started to handle (really handle), to research, to compare every single dslr in the market. The obvious choice for a novice will be to follow the dogma. I mean Nikon, Canon, Olympus are excellent choices and they are quite established names in the field. But the more I researched, the more I compared, the more I came to realize that, even if it sounds like blasphemy, they were all about the same.
    So it was a matter of what was offered for the price and my possibilities of expansion. Oh man, and did the Alpha win!!! I've had the Alpha for about 7 months now. I can tell you that the only mistake I made was to buy the kit with the 18-70 mm, no need to go any further about this particular lens. I have armed myself with several used Minoltas and all I can say is WOW. About the pros, I will not even begin. The camera is excellent in most aspects. A couple of features I would love to see in the camera are the "time lapse" and a bit more speed. The thing I do despise about it is the proprietary policy of Sony regarding the accesories. Surprisingly enough, even when I come from the point and shoot world I can tell you that I do not miss at all having a live preview, and yes even if it offends the purists (purists are really funny), I would love to have the capability of recording video, it is a good option to have, period.
    And so we come to the end of the story of this newbie in this forum. My limited experiece is at your service and I hope I can benefit from yours which is vast and collective.
    Last edited by fos; 04-06-2007 at 07:51 PM.
    Ti eukolon? To allo hupotithestai