Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Memory card questions??

Hi, Im new to digital cameras and I hope to snag a good canon camera
    shortly. I have a question about the quantity of pictures you get from a 16mb
    memory card. As well as the 256mb, 1G, 2G???. The info says that the batteries are good for approximately 90 shots. I was wondering about the approximate number of pictures you get from the mentioned card values.Are their any variables that change the approximately number?? Im new to digital
    but want to learn. Any comments welcomed. Thanks Walaboom.

All depends on the camera. All the info can be found on this website:

These are the stats for the Canon SD600 which is a 6 mpix camera

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=12913

I have this camera and can get several hundred photos taken at the highest resolution on a 2gb card. Video about 15 minutes on the 2gb card at the highest resolution. Batteries last for over a 150 shots approx. On the website you can see different estimates for smaller card sizes and lower resolutions.

My Canon XTi can take hundreds of photos on 1 charge.
    Last edited by cwat212; 03-30-2007 at 01:18 PM.
    Canon XTi & SD600

Canon Reply

Thanks for the info. Im new to digital, I was hoping to start out with a Canon A540. Use it for a couple of years, and learn. Then work my way up to the next level. Thanks Walaboom.

Voigtlanderr2 Guest
    just a couple of things to be careful about - as the previous poster said - it really depends on the megapixels of you r given camera- IE -If you have a 2 megapixel camera you'll get alot more on a card than you will if you have a 10 megapixel camera and every camera has different compression levels available so the image files can be made very small. BUT if you set the camera to record the maximum amount of pictures possible on a card - the files are likely to be too small to print well. the largest files will typically give you the better prints - BUT of course they use up the most room on you memory cards.

If you are getting the Canon PowerShot A540 then I'd purchase at least a 1GB SD card. That will give you several hundred full resolution shots before you need to download the pictures. But with prices being so low on SD flash cards I'd probably go for the 2GB card.

Don't go crazy on purchasing "High Speed" SD cards for the A540, the camera just isn't going to benefit from that extra speed the card provides. A cheap Kingston card will do you just fine.

Concerning batteries, purchase a set of NiMH rechargeable ones with a 1 hour charger. The cost is nominal considering you will be using and reusing the same batteries for a long time. I'd recommend batteries with at least 2500 mAh for longer lasting performance. I use them in my little PowerShot and it takes over 250 pictures before I need to recharge them.

Yes, a good set of batteries will get you much more then 90 shots as you mentioned. At this point in time, it doesn't pay to buy anything less then a 1G card. Prices are so low. Check newegg.com for good deals.

Great Info !

Thanks for all the help regarding memory card questions. Each member responding to my request gave me something I could use. Specific recommendations are great ! Website info, battery and card choices are
    exactly what NEW digicam people need. Thanks again. Walaboom....

Download Q's

I just had another thought regarding memory cards and capacity.
    Can you say take 60 to 80 pictures and download them, then delete the images from your card so that its again empty? Reason being is that I wont have a new computer till late summer. I know that at Walmart or other places
    you can download images, then make prints as well as have a CD of the images made for future use. Thats why I was thinking about a smaller card
    a 128 or 256 MB. If you get a 1GB or 2GB does it have to be completely empty before it can be downloaded?? Lastly, a basic card does it have to be formatted 1st for a Canon A540 before its used?? Ive heard people say both.
    Any responses welcomed> Thanks Walaboom.

Quote Originally Posted by WALABOOM View Post
    I just had another thought regarding memory cards and capacity.
    Can you say take 60 to 80 pictures and download them, then delete the images from your card so that its again empty? Reason being is that I wont have a new computer till late summer. I know that at Walmart or other places
    you can download images, then make prints as well as have a CD of the images made for future use. Thats why I was thinking about a smaller card
    a 128 or 256 MB. If you get a 1GB or 2GB does it have to be completely empty before it can be downloaded?? Lastly, a basic card does it have to be formatted 1st for a Canon A540 before its used?? Ive heard people say both.
    Any responses welcomed> Thanks Walaboom.

You can take 2 pictures, download them, then delete them. Their is no minimum. You do not have to fill the card before downloading. Maximum is obviously reached when the card is full

Some cards will work without being formatted by the camera. However it only takes a couple seconds to format the card. You format the card inside the camera so you will not need a computer.

Get a 2gb card. It is only a couple bucks more than the smaller cards. You will want the 2gb card definitely if you plan on taking videos. Just my thoughts.
    Canon XTi & SD600

Reply To Cwat212

Thanks for the info, thats the basic information new people to digital need.
    Thanks again Walaboom.