Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    snaphappy Guest

Lens Advice for Rebel XTi

I just purchased a Rebel XTi and I would like to replace the kit lens. I want an all in one lens that I can keep on my camera. I'm new to DSLR and enjoy photographing my children, flowers, wildlife and scenery. Our vacation this year will consist of traveling through the Blue Ridge Mountains, stops at museums and the beach. I don't want to have to change lenses.

I don't want to spend more than $400 and am willing to buy used/demo if I can find a reputable reseller. I've narrowed my choices down to four. I lean towarded Canon lenses, even though I lose the wider angle. My first choice is the Canon 28-135 IS USM. The Canon lenses will hold their value over the third party lenses which is another factor. Sigma and Tamron offer the lenses with the most range, but I have been told by some fellow Canon owners that I won't be happy with the way they focus or the sharpness of the pictures. I tried the Sigma and the pictures seem a bit soft to me. I would really like to hear from people who actually own any of the lenses I am considering, which are:

Canon 28-105, f3.5-4.5 USM
    Canon 28-135, f3.5-4.5 IS USM
    Tamron 18-200, f.3.5-6.3 DiII
    Sigma 18-200, f.3.5-6.3 DG

Thanks in advance for your advice. Also, has anyone ordered from Keh.com? Positive or negative experience? Thanks.

You can check for yourself the loss of 18-28mm on your kitlens. Are you sure you will not want to have the wide end for views on vacations??

Anyway. The Sigma 18-200 is better than the Tamron. So, if you already are unhappy about a Sigma 18-200 you tried you will be less happy with the Tamron.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Lightbulb Consider the Tamron 18-250mm

With considerably more reach on the telephoto end than the SIGMA 18-200(actually more like 170mm on the extreme end),

the (NEW) TAMRON AF18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 XR DiII LD Aspherical (IF) is the ultimate "kit lens" with the largest zoom ratio 13.8x of any DSLR lens currently available.

Check this review <- click on this.

But then again, don't take every photographic magazine published's word for it, run yourself down to your local camera shop and try it out. See what real REACH can do for you! If you can only pop for one lens on your camera ... this is probably the one.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-30-2007 at 07:38 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

In the same boat

I just bought my XTi and am starting to look for lenses as well. I am also interested in the 28-135 is and found the best price ($399) at Profeel camera. They have a decent rating on reselleratings.com too. Just wanted to share the info in case you decide to get this lens.

Kerri

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    With considerably more reach on the telephoto end than the SIGMA 18-200(actually more like 170mm on the extreme end),

the (NEW) TAMRON AF18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 XR DiII LD Aspherical (IF) is the ultimate "kit lens" with the largest zoom ratio 13.8x of any DSLR lens currently available.

Check this review <- click on this.

But then again, don't take every photographic magazine published's word for it, run yourself down to your local camera shop and try it out. See what real REACH can do for you! If you can only pop for one lens on your camera ... this is probably the one.

Lightbulb Shop and compare ... 18mm is better

A 28mm lens on any APS-C sensor camera (Canon XT, XTi, 20D, 30D; Nikon D40, D50, D70, D80, D200; SONY A100; Pentax K10D, K100D, K110D ... etc) are all going effectively look like 42 - 44mm once they are mounted.

The range from 44-60mm focal length is a NORMAL lens. In other words ... No WIDE angle. Better start backing up, because this is very limiting, when you only have one lens to shoot through.

If you ONLY have one lens and it's going to stay that way for a while, please consider an 18-anything mm lens.

For your understanding, you need to review this sight. It'll help you dynamically visualize what you are doing to yourself with a 28mm lens vs an 18mm.

Obviously, it is designed for TAMRON lenses, but the comparison would be equal effective with any other manufacturer's lenses.

In the short form ... use this focal length scale for APS-C Cameras

APC-S Sensor
    10-17mm - Ultra Wide Angle
    17-24mm - Wide Angle
    24-35mm - Normal
    35-75mm - Short Telephoto
    75-200mm - Telephoto
    200-500mm - Super Telephoto

For Full Frame Sensors or 35mm-film cameras
    14-24mm - Ultra Wide Angle
    24-40mm - Wide Angle
    40-60mm - Normal
    60-105mm - Short Telephoto
    105-300mm - Telephoto
    300-750mm - Super Telephoto

Good luck.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-30-2007 at 11:19 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

That Focal Length Comparison Tool is great. Great info. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FLiPMaRC View Post
    That Focal Length Comparison Tool is great. Great info. Thanks!

Yeah, when I first found it, I thought it would answer just about any question ... just wish they'd add the competition. LOL

and fisheyes, too!

flickr & Sdi

The Sigma is not 170mm, only if you do not know how to measure it. Same as the Tamron. It is 200mm at infinity.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Yeah, when I first found it, I thought it would answer just about any question ... just wish they'd add the competition. LOL

and fisheyes, too!
    That would be sweet