Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

lifespan of rechargeable batteries

hi all,

i have myself 4 energizer 2500mah NiMH batteries that i have been recharging and using fairly regularly since july/august 2006.

my question is this: does there come a point in the batteries' lives that they do not perform as they once did, due to the ongoing recharging process

currently ill fully charge my batteries, use them in my S3 IS, and then they will simply die on me in a much shorter time than they use to

is this normal (and so replacements are in order)
    or is my camera got some kind of energy draining disorder now

thanks for your time,
    Canon Powershot S3 IS
    Canon EOS 40D + Battery Grip BG-E2N | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM | EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM II | 580EX II |
    Flickr - blentley
    CSC

Yes, I have found this to be the case pretty much with all types of rechargeable batteries.

Battery Life

I am also concerned about battery life. On my cell phone battery, the charge only lasts for 1/2 hour than must be re-charged again. I've had the phone for a couple of years. I read somewhere that we should only expect the battery to last for 200 charges. After that, the battery will not hold a charge for a long time and should be discarded.

NiMH batteries have a life cycle of 500-1000 recharges. While it?s normal for capacity to decrease over the life the battery, many batteries lose a great deal of their capacity due to bad charging processes.

It?s best to discharge the batteries before charging them. There are chargers available that will perform a discharge before starting the charge cycle. I use a LaCrosse BC-900. There are others as well. These chargers fully discharges, and then fully charges the battery. This process helps keep the batteries healthy. Such chargers are also better at getting the battery fully charged. Lesser chargers tend to undercharge the batteries, or in some cases overcharge, which causes damage. Better chargers will get the battery closer to fully charged without overcharging. This is also important for keeping the batteries healthy.
    ________
    RA302
    Last edited by Graystar; 03-11-2011 at 10:15 PM.

I bought 2 sets of 2200s last October and neither set is worth squat at holding a charge anymore. I don't use my camera every day or sometimes every week so I am just getting deals on Alkaline AAs when I see them. More expensive over the long haul but to keep up with charging became a PIA.

Quote Originally Posted by berniej View Post
    I bought 2 sets of 2200s last October and neither set is worth squat at holding a charge anymore. I don't use my camera every day or sometimes every week so I am just getting deals on Alkaline AAs when I see them. More expensive over the long haul but to keep up with charging became a PIA.
    You should try the Sanyo Eneloop, they are perfect for the way you use your camera.

You guys might get more life out of your rechargeable batteries if you use a charger with a conditioning feature like the MAHA 401 http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mhc401fs.htm

thanks for the replies all
    i have learnt something
    Canon Powershot S3 IS
    Canon EOS 40D + Battery Grip BG-E2N | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM | EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM II | 580EX II |
    Flickr - blentley
    CSC

You should try the Sanyo Eneloop, they are perfect for the way you use your camera.
    Their popularity sort of shot up and died out. A bit concerned as to why. I was thinking of those for my purposes. Have you used them?

Quote Originally Posted by berniej View Post
    Their popularity sort of shot up and died out. A bit concerned as to why. I was thinking of those for my purposes. Have you used them?
    I don't know where you get the idea that the popularity of the eneloops has died out. They are fairly new and everyone I have heard from that has used them has liked them. I used Energizer 2500 mah when I got my S3 and they were great, over 500 shots per charge. They were the good ones that were made in Japan. I did everything right with slow charging and conditioning but after 4 or 5 months they would not hold a charge for more than a week. I can still get around 500 shots from them if I shoot that many in a day but if they sit in the camera for a week they are dead.

With the eneloops I can shoot over 500 shots on a charge but they can sit in the camera for a month and not lose any noticable amount of charge. I have 2 sets of them now and don't have any problems with dead batteries when I want to take a picture. The only problems I have seen anyone mention on the forums is that they are only 2000 mah. Those coments are from people that have not tried them. In use they have given me as much power as the 2500 mah Energizers.