Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

New camera - help wanted

Hi

I want to buy a new camera.

I cant decide between Panasonic Lumix DMC-Fz7 (i heard that the Fz8, aint that better to think about it), Sony CyberShot DSC-H5, Olympus SP-550UZ, Canon S3 IS.

Can anyone help me...

I just can decide

Tough call. You have picked four high end consumer digitals. If it were me I would read as many reviews as possible and then go to a camera store where I could get my hands on all the models for a side by side comparison.

I did like this comment made on dpreview.com when reviewing the Sony:

"Compared to the most obvious competitors - the Canon S3 IS and Panasonic DMC-FZ7 - the Sony H5 scores highly in handling, features, overall image quality and ease of use, and only really falls short in a couple of areas; burst mode, focus speed in low light (specifically at the long end of the zoom), and the purple fringing. The Canon S3IS wins hands-down when it coes to movies, the FZ7's lens and superior image stabilization means that at lower ISO settings it still, just, rules the roost when it comes to edge-to-edge sharpness, but the H5 offers a very attractive overall package that handles better than either, and - if that's what you like in a camera - has that nice big screen to boot."

Personal preference would make me lean toward the Canon, but I have seen some great photos come out of all these models. If you have no brand loyalty, then you have the advantage picking the best camera for you.

Thanks a lot for your opinion.

I tested today the DSC-H5, and loved the camera... i think i will wait for the DSC-H9 wich has a 15x zoom