Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SD cards and batteries for canon s3

can i use Sandisk 2GB Extreme III with the canon s3 IS?

Is that too much memory for the camera? I thinking of buying one for mine..but not sure if its compatible with the S3..and can i go higher to 4GB?

also can I use any nihm batteries or do they have to be canon brand?

Me and many others are using the Transcend 150x 4gb SD card without problems. I got the largest SD available because I will be using the movie mode of the camera and it will eat space fast (30 frames per second plus stereo sound).

It was only $39 at Newegg.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

The card is faster then the camera can use, the Ultra-II speed is fast enough. You can easily use up 2G of memory. The camera can handle up to 8G cards.

Any NiMH batteries will do, the higher the capacity the better.

-dave-

Quote Originally Posted by genesis View Post
    can i use Sandisk 2GB Extreme III with the canon s3 IS?

Is that too much memory for the camera? I thinking of buying one for mine..but not sure if its compatible with the S3..and can i go higher to 4GB?

also can I use any nihm batteries or do they have to be canon brand?
    Any NIMH battery will work. I have several sets of Durcell and Energizer batteries and they work fine. Try to get two sets rated at 2500 mAH or higher. You can usually get more shots from them.

As for as memory cards go..the Extreme III should work fine in the camera but I have not personally tried this exact card.... Do you really need a card this fast? I have several 1 GB Ultra II cards and they all work fine...both with photos and video. Transfer time for 1GB of data was about 5 minutes...(not great but tolerable ~ 3.3 MB/s). I also have an A-DATA 8GB card that also works fine. I got mine at newegg.com for $50....a bargain.

The only thing you may have a problem with is your SD card reader. My "new" Dell laptop reads my Ultra II and A-DATA cards without issue, but others have said that they needed to upgrade their card readers to the "hi-speed" types (which can be a little hard to find).

Hope this helps.

Scott

Batteries....

If you tend to take 50 shots or more a day then I'd go with high-capacity batts (2700 mAh), if less, I'd go with Eneloops (2000 mAh). High capacity NiMh batts have a greater self-discharge tendency. Eneloops hold their charge a lonnnnggggg time.

Also, I'd stick with Sanyo NiMh batts (2700s or Eneloops).... they're generally acknowledged to be the best battery among the battery geeks. Actually, I'm now having a "reverse" problem with my Sanyos..... they last so damn long that I'm finding it difficult to properly "cycle" all the extra ones I bought (which I *thought* I needed based on previous experience with "any" batts).
    Last edited by reppans; 03-22-2007 at 07:16 PM.

I went out of town for more than a week. Took about 200+ shots with a set of Sanyo 2700 NiMHs. When I got back a week and a half later, it's still kicking.

As far as memory is concerned, there are a few "what ifs" to consider:

1. If you take non-continuous shots ONLY, any speed (fast or slow) card will suffice.
    2. If you take non-continuous shots and movies, a 60x SD card or a Class 2 SDHC card will do. Needless to say, movies takes a lot of space, so you may want to invest on the largest memory you can afford. SDHC has a theoretical upper limit of 32GB.
    3. If you take continuous shots at high resolution a lot, you may want to spend on a very fast card (150x SD or Class 6 and up SDHC).

Now, when talking about fast or performance cards, you may want to get only branded ones from reputable sources. A lot of fake memory cards are floating on the Internet claiming this or that, but in reality they're just re-badged with 133x or 150x stickers (ie. "150x" card that only performs at 40x).
    Orly

Canon PowerShot S3 IS
    • Lensmate 58mm Lens Adapter
    • Hoya HMC Super UV Filter
    • Hoya CPL Filter
    • Canon +4 Close-up Lens
    Sony Cybershot U20

Thanks everybody...

For you quick responds.

Im thinking of getting Sony BCG-34HE4 Super-Quick Worldwide Battery Charger with 4 AA NiMH Batteries
    They are 2700..They are supposed to be Sanyo brand under Sony label..

and If Sanyo Is as good as I hear than these should be good enough..

I was thinking of getting a higher GB because I will be using the Movie mode
    often..So I guess I will go with the 4GB i dont want to push it.

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    3. If you take continuous shots at high resolution a lot, you may want to spend on a very fast card (150x SD or Class 6 and up SDHC).
    I don't believe the S3 can shoot that fast. I don't think there's any combination of settings that will overwhelm a (real) 60x card.

Movie mode on the S3 is limited to 1G files, so a 4G card will get you 4 x 1G movie files.

I'd avoid super-quick chargers, they are very hard on batteries. Slower chargers will make you batteries last longer.

So, you are saying im only going to get 1gb of movie time on a 4gb card?

My other concern is that if i buy a 4Gb card my PC wont read it...
    will a MicroMate high-speed USB 2.0 Reader help?
    Or should I just get a 2GB?

The camera can only create movie files of maximum size of 1G. The camera can address the entire card, so this means you'll be able to record up to 4 movies of 1 Gig each.

The camera supports SDHC cards at least up to 8G. I've had no problems reading 2G cards with my lowly card reader.

-dave-