Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamison55 View Post
    Cool comparison, but that only tells a small part of the story - the optical part. I have a Super Takumar 50 f1.8 that I bought for $30 that produces images that are as sharp/contrasty/creamy bokeh as my $1000 Canon 35 f1.4...but guess which one I take to weddings!

(In case I made it hard to guess, let me give you a clue - the one with fast, ACCURATE, USM autofocus).

Almost all of the Tamron and Sigma lenses I have owned have been excellent optically, but they fell short when it came to the AF Speed/Accuracy compared to OEM lenses.
    How do you find AF speed/accuracy varies with the same lens but on different bodies?

I'm puzzled a little as to one lens being better at AF than another as the mechanism for guaging focus is inside the camera and the camera solely turns the focussing motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    How do you find AF speed/accuracy varies with the same lens but on different bodies?

I'm puzzled a little as to one lens being better at AF than another as the mechanism for guaging focus is inside the camera and the camera solely turns the focussing motor.

Well, you may find that on the Nikon bodies, but Canon has the servo-motor in the lens. So each lens is at it own fault for focusing speed. I've got a TAMRON AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD that clocks no where near the speed of the Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. Each lens (Canon-mount) is master of its own fate ... although I believe that the EOS 1-series throws a bit more voltage and current that the moves for snappier response. (I'm having this tested at the camera shop, today - so bear with me on this.)

This is post 1900 ... OMG ... almost a hero! LOL Gotta love the boards, eh?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-21-2007 at 12:52 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Cool EOS 30D vs EOS 1

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Each lens (Canon-mount) is master of its own fate ... although I believe that the EOS 1-series throws a bit more voltage and current that the moves for snappier response. (I'm having this tested at the camera shop, today - so bear with me on this.)
    Well, the results came in and the EOS 30D focuses at the same speed as the EOS 1 system, using the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. I figure that's a pretty good standard lens to try something like this with.

Anyway ... moving on!
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

The spped at good light and contrast conditions is the same, Don. But when contrast gets to be lower, you will start to see a difference in AF lock spped between cameras.

And for fun, just compare on the same site the Sigma 18-50 old version at 18mm f2,8 and the tamron 17-50 f2.8, Don
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Don, look at your own gear list. I don't want to hear anything about scrimping .
    Canon 20D, Canon 300D, Panasonic FZ30, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 50mm 1.8 MK I, Canon 18-55(kit lens), Tamron 28-300 XR DI, Tokina 12-24 F4, Kenko extension tubes, Canon 550EX Flash, Lightsphere PJ II, Stofen omnibounce and Whibal. Now the proud owner of Canon extender 1.4 MK II.

Smile Meager at best ... because I just keep it all

Quote Originally Posted by boog View Post
    Don, look at your own gear list. I don't want to hear anything about scrimping .
    Admittedly, we all have our limits. The idea is to maximize impact without breaking the bank. Right now, I'm not going to get rich off of my photography. It's not what put bread on my table. When that does become the case, the investment probably would go up ... and at this point ... substantially.

I'm currently pretty content with the results I'm getting at the "hobby level." The improvements would be minor, other than going full frame. I've got the low light issue solved ... I can do portraits with a relative certainty they will turn out ... and for what I do concerning landscape ... it'll do. Sure, I've got a selection of glass to play with and that's good. It doesn't all go to the party with me, but at least I can pick and choose my "brushes", for variety sake.

There are some minor changes I do have planned, in the near future, because I have noted some limitations, but they are mere "tweaks" compared to the next level.

The TAMRON SP AF17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) is a fantastic lens for the money. I contest that you will not find a better lens for less, unless it is by accident. For me, jumping in and putting up the extra coin for the Canon EF 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM is simply going over the same ground for no real reason. One day I may by this TAMRON with the SONY-mount and do a side-by-side, to see if the SONY's internal IS can get it steady to 1/6 sec. That's where the fun begins.

Good luck in all your shooting trials.

flickr & Sdi

The TAMRON SP AF17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) is a fantastic lens for the money. I contest that you will not find a better lens for less, unless it is by accident.
    I do not know why on one hand you seem to love the USM/IS on that 70-200 of yours, yet you frown upon the IS /USM of the EF-S 17-55.

It is not hard to run into a Sigma 18-50 EX DC Macro by "accident"...

Don, you earlier "replied", to criticism of that site and how not relevant it is to determining how good a lens is with :
    Why not just push the factual data aside and live on opinion.
    So... this is how the OLD version of the Sigma (the 18-50 EX DC Macro has imporved optics) compares to that Tamron on that very same site...
    Do not push this "factual data aside" now
    The Sigma offers a "macro mode", is cheaper, and offers better optics?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by coldrain; 03-24-2007 at 09:58 AM.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain View Post
    I do not know why on one hand you seem to love the USM/IS on that 70-200 of yours, yet you frown upon the IS /USM of the EF-S 17-55.

It is not hard to run into a Sigma 18-50 EX DC Macro by "accident"...

Don, you earlier "replied", to criticism of that site and how not relevant it is to determining how good a lens is with :

So... this is how the OLD version of the Sigma (the 18-50 EX DC Macro has imporved optics) compares to that Tamron on that very same site...
    Do not push this "factual data aside" now
    The Sigma offers a "macro mode", is cheaper, and offers better optics?
    Look, I don't know how many times I've stated this, but again, for the record, I purchased the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM because TAMRON had not released theirs and it still will not be available for general consumption until October 2007.

IS in a long focal length is a highly desirable trait, especially the f/2.8-version ... to totally maximize the low-light capability of such a tool. I advise anyone planning to buy one to get this feature on it, but then again ... budgetary issues may arise. It's not cheap nor does it look like it will EVER be.

My plan is to add the TAMRON SP AF70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO when it become available to my SONY A100 collection. Obviously, there is no Canon-conversion that goes that way and the SONY (Minolta) SAL-70200G - 70-200mm F/2.8 G-series is far too pricey to make it worth the coin.

But YOU know this, so why ask? I, personally, feel that IS is a luxury on the 17-55mm f/2.8 (~$995). I know I don't feel I would ever get the $600 worth of added expense out of that lens anywhere near what I do with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L. The TAMRON 17-50mm f/2.8 has been a terrific lens, well-recognized by Camera reviewers both foreign and domestic for what it can do and I would say well worth the $449 I paid for it.

On the SONY ... you don't even need IS in the lens, so the point is moot. Every lens you buy, gets it. Heck, even SIGMA had to re-release their version to catch up to the TAMRON. It's a game they play. TAMRON did the same kind of thing with the delay of SP AF70-200mm f/2.8 release, and its minimum focus distance of 0.95m. One specification better than someone else's (actually, ahead of them all, at this point in time).

SONY's new release in the Fall should really knock some lights out when it comes. I may just retire the my entire Canon-suite in preference to the SONY Pro-model, if it meets expectations.

So, yeah IS is a nice additon ... but only if it comes FREE in the body ... otherwise ... it seems like money poorly spent in the short lenses ... if your paws don't shake.

For what it's worth ... that's the way I see it ... I suppose because my pockets are not stuffed with extra cash. A small compromise, in the right direction, in my estimation.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-24-2007 at 07:42 PM.

flickr & Sdi

But what about the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DC Macro being cheaper, and seamingly better, and offering a more close focussing?

Does that maybe not challenge your contest?