Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

400D/XTi Low Light Query

Hi,

Just bought myself a brand new 400D and a Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 DC MACRO instead of the kit lens.

I really love the picture quality I'm getting, but I am disappointed with the shutter speeds in low light. When i did a (unscientific!) comparsion without flash in the house last night with my old Minolta S414 compact the S414 was getting better shutter times (400D 1/8th sec vs S414 1/30th sec) with both in Aperture priority at max aperture (f2.8 400d and f3.0 S414) and 400 ISO. Both images looked properly exposed to the eye.

So my query is should I read anything into this? Reason I ask is I bought the 400D for its reputed good low light ability and assumed that the greater light collecting ability of a DSLR lens combined with better aperture of f2.8 and the bigger CMOS sensor would mean that I would see at least slightly faster shutter times over my compact.

Be grateful if anyone could give me any feedback as to whether I'm expecting too much or whether instead its odd that a 2003 compact can beat the 400D!

Jon
    Last edited by Moonlight; 03-25-2007 at 07:06 AM.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonrmoore/

Minolta Dimage S414 4MP Digi-Compact