Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

My first Realestate Photos

My sister in law is selling her house and asked me to take some pics... I used my 12-24mm and HDRed them. It makes me really want a proper tripod with a ball head. but over all I'm quite happy with the results. C&C always welcome.

5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

Nice work mate. And nice house too. I don't know if this would help but maybe a pol. filter on #1 might take the reflection of the hardwood. Nice colour though in all of them.

Well done, a very nice job of HDR processing. They look very natural. Photomatix??
    Dennis

Canon 5D
    Canon 20D

Georgetown, KY Photographer
    Retouching

Looks good. Nice shots.
    Canon 20D, Canon 300D, Panasonic FZ30, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 50mm 1.8 MK I, Canon 18-55(kit lens), Tamron 28-300 XR DI, Tokina 12-24 F4, Kenko extension tubes, Canon 550EX Flash, Lightsphere PJ II, Stofen omnibounce and Whibal. Now the proud owner of Canon extender 1.4 MK II.

looks like you did a great job. first one really looks sweet
    Canon 7D ~ Canon 20D
    70-200L f/2.8 | 100 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.4 | 10-22 f/3.5-4.5
    580EX | BG-E7 | BG-E2

"Keyboard failure, press any key to continue.... "

Here's my comment not as a photographer but as someone who knows a lil bit bout the real estate business...

These days, many buyers go through the net to find homes so you want to have that great impression through pics/ad that gets their foot in the door.

Given that, I think the views are great, perhaps the last room could use a bit of re-staging to remove some of the stuff and the 1st one could use a bit of a different perspective (something more straight to the dining, rather than peering from behind a plant at an angle).

However, I believe that HDR is not the way to go with these pictures. For example, in the 1st pic, the walls are not really filled with black stuff. Same with the kitchen tiles, bathroom tiles and rug, etc. Honestly, if I were a home buyer, I might think that the colors are bizarre, if not dirty, due to the HDR. Of course, if the walls and tiles and stuff are actually colored like that, then I apologize in advance for the impression I got.

just my two bits of nonsense...
    To err is human, to crop divine.

#1 and #2 the WB seems off or the HDR is doing weird things with color.

#2 the counter top island looks bent.

#3 I don't like the perspective.

#4 I actually like though the doorknob and the doorway hurt it for me.

Tim

They're good Mate. Only suggestion is to add a CPol and keep your camera back plumb and you're good to go.
    Christian Wright; Dip Phot
    EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | EOS-1V HS
    L: 14/2.8 II | 24/1.4 II | 35/1.4 | 50/1.2 | 85/1.2 II | 135/2 | 180/3.5 Macro | 200/2.8 II | 400/2.8 IS | 16-35/2.8 II | 24-105/4 IS | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 100-400/4.5-5.6 IS
    580EX II | EF 12 II | EF 25 II

Thanks for all the C&C guys! Lots of stuff to think about for next time. To answer a few questions, yes it was Photomatix but, it was an older plug in version for CS2. My brother in law was a web designer and had it on his computer. I still haven't bit the bullet and bought it yet.

As for the dirty looking items through out the house. In the first picture the item on the left is a lamp and the blackness is just natural shading. The tiles and rug are pretty much accurate to real life. They have a coloured grout in the bathroom and the linoleum in the kitchen has dark patterns. The rug in the bathroom is accurate too.

I edited these photos in the house so I tried to match the WB as close as I could. I could have made the kitchen cooler but because of the lighting and wood it actually does look "warm". I think I'm going to test these out on some people who don't have photography experience to see if I get similar responses. I think because we look at pictures so much we get a predetermined idea of what a particular picture should look like. HDR throws that off quite a bit but I think it more accurately shows the house as it looks. I'll throw some non HDR photos up later so you can see what the camera saw.

Thanks again guys it's much appreciated.
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

I do this for a living Nick, what camera are you using, its a Nikon isnt it (edit oh right an XTi)
    HDR is an unconventional approach really, mostly we use flash and stofens

I use either an LC-1 and Metz54 or one of the Olympus dSLRs with TTL flash
    both are 22mm EFL and have DoF in spades, watch your aperture!. This way im in and out of a house quickly and put more effort into the PP side.

but you have the right idea, even if the colours look a little odd here and there
    you could improve them by straightening your verticals like below

cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Riley

Pentax 110 auto SLR