Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

View Poll Results: Are you likely to go full frame in the near year or two?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Any camera I own will be full frame.

2 10.53%
  • Yes. I also plan on having a second body with a smaller sensor.

4 21.05%
  • Maybe. I'm considering it.

7 36.84%
  • No. But I may purchase a 1.3 crop camera.

3 15.79%
  • No. I am happy with with my 1.6 crop camera(s).

3 15.79%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Will You Go Full Frame? (And Why?)

Is going to a full frame camera in your future? Why or why not?

It's been discussed before in various threads but I don't believe I've seen it have its own topic. I'm aware of one or two of the benefits of going full frame but I don't know the entire argument.
    Cameras: 40D | SX10 IS
    Lenses: 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS
    Flash: 430EX | Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce
    Accessories: BG-E3 Battery Grip | Extender 1.4x II | Hoya & Singh-Ray Filters

I would like the awesome image quality of the EOS 5D (much better dynamic range, even if "review tests" don't show it... the 5D has something extra and it shows in photos).

But... I would not like the extra vignetting in wide angle all that much, and I also do not like the idea of the added weight (you need longer lenses for the same resuls, you need full frame lenses, this means I will need a lot more weight in glass).

So.... IQ wise, yes. For the rest, no. I may in future go for both, portability in 1.6x and IQ in full frame. And use whatever fits the task...
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Depends on SONY's new pro-level release

Since SONY is obviously considering the release of a pro-level DSLR, whatever it is will make this decision for me.

I have effectively abandoned the idea of using Full Frame Canon, since they refuse to put in-body IS in the cameras for use with low-end, non-IS PRIME and ZOOM lensing.

So, in a way, this question is a tad bit early in my estimation. Perhaps in the summer we will know more.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

It's a future possibility. It's not a high priority at the moment, but if something happens to my 20D then there's a shot at the 5D.
    Dennis

Canon 5D
    Canon 20D

Georgetown, KY Photographer
    Retouching

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Since SONY is obviously considering the release of a pro-level DSLR, whatever it is will make this decision for me.

I have effectively abandoned the idea of using Full Frame Canon, since they refuse to put in-body IS in the cameras for use with low-end, non-IS PRIME and ZOOM lensing.

So, in a way, this question is a tad bit early in my estimation. Perhaps in the summer we will know more.
    Don, as always, first think things through. How are you going to move a SENSOR that is full frame around under a full frame image circle.... The sensor will move out from under the image circle with IS.

Not really a possibility, now is it. So, youcan hold your breath.... but start breathing again when you turn blue like the blue ring on my Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro!
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

I didn't vote but I will say que sera sera. I'm not thinking either way right now. It doesn't do much good since I could get hit by a car (or any number of life-ending things) tomorrow and it would be moot.

Live for today, use & enjoy what you have.

i'm considering it, but more than likely i'd get the mk II N over the 5d...in a heartbeat.
    40d | 5d mk II | 2.8/16 zenitar fisheye | 16-35L | 35L | sigma 1.4/50 | sigma 2.8/50 Macro | sigma 1.4/85 | 70-200L IS
    website
    disclaimer: posts are for personal entertainment only...not to be taken seriously...ever.

I assume as DSLR sensor technology matures eventually full frame will be standard so my answer would be Yes, one day when its all you can buy. If I have a choice, I'd probably stay with crop bodies.
    Nikon D90 | Sigma 10-20 HSM | DX 18-105 f3.5-5.6 VR | DX 55-200 VR | 35 f/2.0 D | 50 f/1.4 D | 85mm F/1.8 D | SB-800 x 3 | SU-800
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Flickr | Twitter

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    I like the 5D and what it does. I like the XT for its weight and size.

I'm considering a 2nd body to use as a primary for weddings.

It goes like this:
    I really want the 5D but am not so keen on the price, size or weight.
    I can easily afford an XT but the viewfinder and controls are a PITA.
    The 30D is not too badly priced but I'm not as struck on the controls as they're not as good as on the 5D.

So... I'm at a kind of an impasse. I could get a 5D or a 30D or another XT.

So... for the moment I'm using my single XT and thinking whether I should just gamble and get a second.

Question An oversized circular sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain View Post
    Don, as always, first think things through. How are you going to move a SENSOR that is full frame around under a full frame image circle.... The sensor will move out from under the image circle with IS.

Not really a possibility, now is it. So, you can hold your breath.... but start breathing again when you turn blue like the blue ring on my Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro!
    GASP! Puff puff puff ... OMG ... that's a test, ain't it? Wow, same color, even!

Okay, just for argument's sake, let's take this to the next level ... what if they designed the sensor to be over-sized, concaved and CIRCULAR ... and electronically chopped the full frame rectangle out of it ... instead of trying to align the square to a square? For a clever marketing name, we could call it a "CROP CIRCLE."

Makes you wonder who's driving the bus, doesn't it?

I dropped a letter to the Foveon-designers to see what their take is on this idea. I understood the convenience of film cut into strips and running through the back of the camera, but without film, why is the sensor's shape so important? The lens image is naturally a circle ... why not the sensor catching it?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-14-2007 at 12:22 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi