Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adobe Lightroom

Adobe Lightroom

I have been using the trial version for about two weeks now, I find it very user friendly and fun to use. I just thought I would highlight a couple of things about it. It will probably catch on for those who want more than elements but not willing to shell out $600 for Photoshop3.

View of the screen is laid out well and is enhanced by being able to eliminate the clutter of all the work tools and sliders etc. by hitting the L button to dim the lights(all except the photos), hit it twice and the screen is black except for the photo. Nice touch

Library is laid out so you can find your folders very easily. but if that is not the way you wish to find your photos you can search in the

Metadata browser for them. Search here by folder, camera used, lens used, date, creator, file type or even location. If you can not find your photo, then it is not in the system yet.

Navigator allows you to view your photo to fit the frame or fill the frame and magnify at 1:1 to 11:1, even when doing your comparison shots with the previous unedited original. Keep in mind you can edit til your hearts content but not destroy the original.

Rate your photos by flagging them, star ratings or even color grouping.

Edit / Adjustments can be done in a variety of ways. Using the available histogram, you can drag the mouse over the areas of the histogram that need work ie highlights, exposure, fill and adjust from there, or curves chart as usual, or sliders under the curves chart or even using Targeted adjustment tool

Targeted Adjustment tool, click on the area of the photo you want to work on and drag to make adjustments, not as specific as control points but works nicely.

W/B adjustments, there are 8 presets and 1 custom, I was able to fix a photo taken in jpeg with a bluish cast(wrong wb) and fix it beautifully.

Other adjustments includes fill light, blacks and highlight recovery, The highlight recovery given the dynamic range of dslr's and my botches is very helpful in adjusting the highlights back a little, not a miracle just helpful. You can use a histogram feature to tell you where the highlights are and where blacks need adjusting as well. Forget what it is called but also a nice feature.

Fine tuning, plenty of color specific adjustments, hue, saturation and luminance. Use one color or all. adjust them while you are doing black and white conversions as well.

Split Toning, allows you to concentrate on either the highlight areas or the dark areas of your photo by specifically adjusting the hue and saturation for either.

Detail Adjustments is where you can do your sharpening and noise reduction. Noise reduction includes both for luminance and color.

Lens Correction for ca with red/cyan and blue/yellow sliders. Also there is correction for lens vignetting.

Red eye and dust spots are both easily removed, red eye allows for pupil size and darkness.

Cropping Is different, use preset sizes or custom, the thing is is that the overlay stays still while you slide the photo under it, takes getting used to.

You can send your edited or unedited photo to photoshop to do more pp there as well.
    I absolutely enjoy this program, not far from plunking down the 2 bills for it.
    Last edited by rawpaw18; 03-09-2007 at 08:48 PM.
    - Rich

Nikon: D50, 18-70mm, 50mm, 70-200vr
    Kenko: 12mm, 20mm, 36mm Ext Tubes
    Manfrotto: 486RC2
    Benro: A-327 tripod

My Flickr Photos Here

I think lightroom is excellent. I also have been using the trial version and I am seriously considering actually purchasing this.

If your photo is composed properly straight out of the camera, then small adjustments in lightroom is perfect.

For the bigger things I have limited access to real photoshop but like I said, limited access. The full deal is nice to have, mainly for the cloning, dodge, and burn functions. But if these aren't needed then lightroom is all a photographer needs.
    Small Town Newspaper Oaf

East Coast Coorespondant for CRAWL Magazine!!??

Is the current trial version the final release or one of the betas?
    I used beta 3 and 4 and I now have a copy of the final release (v1.x). The production product is very good, much better and faster than even beta 4 was. For what I do Lightroom is perfect although if I had to buy it I'd still seriously have to look at Capture NX due to the ridiculous price Adobe are asking.

This is not the Beta versions, this is the latest. I know the price is $200 us right now but will go up to $300 sometime in April.
    - Rich

My Flickr Photos Here

Are you sure it's going up to $300 in April?

Thanks for the informative post, I'm going to check out the Targeted Adjustment tool now.
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Most interesting on the price. I wonder how much the "student discount" would get me.

The more and more I look at it, the $125 price tag on the Capture NX starts looking better and better.

Does NX have the burn/dodge tool and clone tool? I love the clone tool to destroy all of those dust spots.
    Small Town Newspaper Oaf

East Coast Coorespondant for CRAWL Magazine!!??

LR, have you tried the trial of NX? I would have to look again but I dont believe NX offers those 2 features. There is something in NX called Image Dust Off. I havent used this feature yet but you take the reference photo in camera then load into NX and that is used to remove dust on your other photos, I believe. Again, I have not used this yet.

I use NX for the basic editing and CS3 for the more advanced editing, like cloning and B&W with color.

For the price, NOTHING beats Capture NX.
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by toriaj View Post
    Are you sure it's going up to $300 in April?

Thanks for the informative post, I'm going to check out the Targeted Adjustment tool now.
    Got the info from Popular Photgraphy,The $199 Photshop Killer? by Debbie Grossman
    " The cost $199, direct, through April; $299 thereafter (www.adobe.com)."
    - Rich

My Flickr Photos Here

Jason,
    There is no dust removal tool on NX other than the reference one? My time with my trial of NX was useless due to computer problems during that period. I did not get a chance to really be as extensive as I have with Lightroom. I tell you I am very pleased with this program so far, but I think I will load up another trial of NX on my wifes work computer to try it some more. As you can tell I still have not purchased a new editing program.
    - Rich

My Flickr Photos Here

As far as I know Rich, there is no other dust removal tool or feature in NX. I have checked everywhere in the software and havent found one. This is the only downfall of NX, it isnt as advanced as CS2 or CS3 but for basic editing and conversion, its perfect.
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!