Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

What digital canon SLR camera should I buy?

This is the first time I have ever posted anything but I am sooo confused about which camera to purchase. I am an advanced amateur/passionate photographer who has been shooting film for many years. I have a darkroom to develop my black and white. I love portrait, action, landscapes, photojournalism--just about everything. I am currently interested in purchasing my first digital canon mainly for my kids action sports i.e.-ice hockey and volleyball. I have a wonderful f2.8 70-200mm lens, filters, film etc. which make shooting great in these low light situtations. I want excellent image quality! I am willing to pay anywhere from $500-$2000 if necessary. I have canon equipment, I love my EOS Elan 7E although I use my other canon cameras as well. I was looking at the EOS 5D but noticed it doesn't shoot continuously for sports just 3 frames a second. Is that enough for catching the action? EOS Rebel xti shoots continuously with 10.1 pixels, Or is that enough? Any other suggestions. Please help. What am I looking for in quality. Thank you in advance for all your help.

I don't think there will be much question to this, but I'd say the 30D. It will burst at 5fps. The XTi will burst at 3fps, but that's not really great for sports.

Someone else will have to chime in to compare the 5D, but I don't think it's better for your needs.

Your Elan 7e does 4fps. Have you used that a lot? Have you found that to be fine, or too slow?

It is perfectly possible to shoot sports at 3fps, of course 5fps is faster, and again 8fps is even faster. Only you and your experience can tell you is 3fps is fast enough for your wishes.

Of course, the EOS 30D with 5fps is also an option. It is a very complete camera, quite comparable to the 5D, with an 1.6x crop APS-C sensor (8.2mp) instead of a full frame sensor (12.7mp). This will give your 70-200 more reach (112-320mm). Maybe that is something that can be desirable for you too?

The XTi is also a 1.6x crop factor camera, it is small and light. This makes it in operation a bit different from the 30D and 5D, where both others have a dail on the back. It is a very capable camera, you have to judge for yourself if a camera smaller than what you are used to if ok with you.

Do not stare yourself blind on the megapixels, 8.2, 10.1 or 12.7 does not make all that much of a difference in reality. Since all three are very good in image quality and high ISO low-ish noise performance (all three best in their class), make the decision on which camera you feel most comfortable with, your budget, and the full frame versus 1.6x crop factor APS-C sensor.

Of course, there is no other choice if you feel that 3fps is too low for you. Then the 30D is your camera.
    Last edited by coldrain; 03-07-2007 at 03:07 AM.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain View Post
    It is perfectly possible to shoot sports at 3fps
    I find that 3fps just isn't fast enough to count on getting the "right" shot. Because of this, I find myself trying to time the shot (and only taking 1) rather than just bursting so I can pick the best later on.

This will be an important factor in volleyball, where you usually want to get the shot when the ball is contacting the player in question. In ice hockey, it probably won't be as important...

thanks for the advice

I have taken multiple shots with my elan 7e and it's great for the action. That's part of my dilema. I use fujicolor pro 800z film. It's about $6-$8 dollars a roll. With my f-dl filter and my lens I get great shots but I am consisently thinking of the cost of the film vs shots that come out perfect-or to my liking. ( My percentage of perfect shots is certainly not 100%. ) I recently saw some digital shots and became intrigued because they can delete the photo, and manipulate the lighting and color later---when I shoot everything manual or sports mode and hope for the best. I want an investment that I can use for sometime. So you like the eos 30D. Have you ever used it? If so, what types of shots? Are enlargements a problem? You also mentioned not to be too concerned about the pixels. Can you please elaborate on that issue. Like I said before, I know very little and am eager to learn. P.S. What types of software do you also recomend to work on the photo before printing it? Thank you again for all your insight.

You best ask these specific questions in the Canon DSLR forum, there are some sport shooters there too with XT/30D/D1 Mk II N experience.

Your Elan 7e will shoot at 4fps or 3.5 fps when in AI Servo mode... Since AI Servo is the AF mode to be in for sports shooting/object tracking, the 5D and XTi are VERY close to that figure, don't you think?
    I do NOT think the 3 vs 3.5 fps is going to be a big thing at all.

Yes, the EOS 30D will be fine with enlargements, just the the XT/XTi and pro D1 MK II N pro sports camera (8mp also, at 8fps).

The different between 8.2 mp and 10mp is not at all very big.
    30D : 3504 x 2336
    400D: 3888 x 2592 : 384 & 256 pixels more "resolution" compared to 30D, +11%.
    5D : 4368 x 2912 : 864 & 576 pixels more "resolution" compared to 30D, +24%.

As you can see, the difference in resolution is a lot smaller than you think just looking at the megapixel figure. The most important thing is to get the features you want/need... and if 3fps is enough, the XTi will be enough. If 5 fps is wanted/needed, the 30D is a great choice!
    And the 5D just is an awesome camera too, with a bit bigger dynamic range.

Most used are a good RAW convertor if you shoot with RAW format (has more room for changes to the photo). The cameras com with Canon DPP, a very good RAW convertor. There are many RAW conversion programs though.
    To edit the photos, Adobe Photoshop CS2, and the cheaper Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 are the best to use. The new Adobe Lightroom program is also very interesting, it being an advanced RAW convertor and also editor and photo organizer. If you have a Mac, Apple's Aperture 1.5 is also a very interesting program if your computer is fast enough.
    Last edited by coldrain; 03-08-2007 at 10:05 AM.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

canon 30D

Thanks so much for the help. You gave me a lot to think about. It's overwhelming but exciting at the same time. I'll probably throw out more questions before I purchase though.