Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry S3 IS Battery problem

For almost a year, I've been using Energizer's 2200 mAh high energy 15min rechargable batteries. I've never had ANY problem whatsoever using these batteries. They usually last really long in my camera -- we're talking 6hrs of on/off shooting and around 600 pictures before I need to even think of replacing them.

Lately, however, every-single-fu*king-time I go into my camera bag to grab the S3 to take some pictures, all the batteries are dead. That is, the batteries in the camera as well as the batteries NOT in the camera.

The camera uses 4 AA batteries.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? Recommendations on batteries to try?
    I like rechargeables as they feel lest wasteful and in the end are a better buy -- assuming the work!

Argh.

I missed a GREAT photo opportunity today as a guy was taking off from the ice in a neat contraption just a few doors down..
    Last edited by TheNetwerk2020; 02-27-2007 at 09:24 PM.

It could be that your quick charger has "worn out" the batteries in advance. The same thing happened to me, when I used my quick charger. My quick charger was much slower than yours, though - I think it took around 2 to 3 hours to recharge 4 2500 mAh batteries.

I bought a new charger that chargers the batteries in around 6 or 7 hours instead. I also bought a new set of batteries to replace the "worn out" ones. Or 2 sets, actually - 8 new rechargeables. My quick charger and the batteries were of the brand Uniross. The new charger and batteries are GP.

There is another thread about this problem here too. It seems that different quick chargers handles the batteries in different ways. If it is a more advanced quick charger, it takes better care of the batteries when you recharge them. The charger first empties the batteries completely, before rechargeing them. Maybe that kind of advanced charger doesn't wear out the batteries in advance. I have no experience. What kind of quick charger are you using? Do you know how it works?

For short - I don't think it's your batteries fault. I think it's the quick charger you have used, that has "worn out" or "burnt out" your batteries in advance.

Ps. I have the same camera as you, the Canon Powershot S3IS.
    Last edited by Wesan; 02-27-2007 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Added Ps.
    Wesan

"Analogue"/film cameras
    Agfamatic 2000
    Canon EOS 600 (SLR)
    Fujifilm Fotonex 310ix (APS)

Digital cameras
    Samsung Digimax 101
    Canon Powershot S3IS

I see two possible problems.

1. As explained by Wesan, the batteries may have failed prematurely due to the high current these 15 mins. chargers are delivering. FWIW, use 15-min. charging ONLY if you need to charge your batteries immediately (like in the middle of a photo shoot). Otherwise, stick with "smart" 2-5 hour (or longer) chargers that can do a better job at prolonging the life of your batteries.

2. It's weird that all batteries began to fail at almost the same time, unless, the problem lies with the camera. When my batteries conk out, they're usually several months to about a year apart.
    Orly

Canon PowerShot S3 IS
    • Lensmate 58mm Lens Adapter
    • Hoya HMC Super UV Filter
    • Hoya CPL Filter
    • Canon +4 Close-up Lens
    Sony Cybershot U20

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    (---) 2. It's weird that all batteries began to fail at almost the same time, unless, the problem lies with the camera. When my batteries conk out, they're usually several months to about a year apart.
    Maybe not - if all the batteries were brand new and of the same brand and mAh, and if the same quick charger was used the whole time, and you circulate between the sets of batteries, I'd say it's likely they all fail at the same time. The quick charger has "worn them out" equally. If you see what I mean?

I'm not a battery expert, though. But I'm getting pretty good at "battle of the batteries" gif-animations...!
    Last edited by Wesan; 02-27-2007 at 10:59 PM.
    Wesan

"Analogue"/film cameras
    Agfamatic 2000
    Canon EOS 600 (SLR)
    Fujifilm Fotonex 310ix (APS)

Digital cameras
    Samsung Digimax 101
    Canon Powershot S3IS

Quote Originally Posted by Wesan View Post
    Maybe not - if all the batteries were brand new and of the same brand and mAh, and if the same quick charger was used the whole time, and you circulate between the sets of batteries, I'd say it's likely they all fail at the same time. The quick charger has "worn them out" equally. If you see what I mean?
    Got a point there.

I'm not a battery expert, though. But I'm getting pretty good at "battle of the batteries" gif-animations...!
    LOL. Yeah, I envy people who have too much time on their hands.
    Orly

Canon PowerShot S3 IS
    • Lensmate 58mm Lens Adapter
    • Hoya HMC Super UV Filter
    • Hoya CPL Filter
    • Canon +4 Close-up Lens
    Sony Cybershot U20

I keep an alkaline batt in my cam bag just in-case something like this happens. But my daughter found out this idea and knows where to get good batts. hehehe... time to buy. But I bought those eneloops (The discharge rate is slow and now serves as my back-up batts)

I am using a 5-hr SONY portable charger to charge my 2500mAh AAs. It has a REFRESH button that I suppose functions to drain the batts first before charging them.

As an additional observation, I found out that rechargeable batts also drain themselves even when not in use. And this self-draining is much faster during the colder season. Observed this with my spare batts (relatively new), especially this winter. Got them fully charged but when I finally use them after a week in cold weather, they're empty .
    Canon PS G9, PS G7, PS S3IS
    LENS: DCR-6600PRO, DCR-250, DCR-2020PRO, TC-DC58B, TC-DC58C, 500D macro 58
    FILTR: Canon UV 58mm, Raynox PL 52mm, Canon CPL 52mm, Hakuba S-Wide CPL 58mm
    FLASH: Canon 430EX, Canon OC-E3 cord, Sto-fen omni, Panasonic PE-28S

My flickr

Yes, NiMH batteries discharge when not in use. Actually, all batteries do that to some degree, but NiMH are worse then others. Li-Ion are better, but also lose charge when not in use. This is one area where alkaline and lithium batteries shine.

Is it very cold there now?
    That could explain it
    flickr
    dcrp shooter's on flickr

7D,Bge7,Canon 70 200 F4L IS,Canon 17 40 f4L,Canon 100 2.8 Macro,Canon 400 5.6L,580 EX II,Tamron1.4XTC SP AF

All it takes is one dead or very low voltage battery of the 4 and the camera won't have enough power to power up.