Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Limitation of Canon TX1

I had been planning on buying the TX1 until today. For my purposes, video and stills from the same small camera is very important. I had even convinced myself that the 1,8 LCD might be okay. I couldn't wait for the 10X zoom.

Well today I was at my shooting preserve with the setters and taking a few stills and videos with my A710. The A710 is a compromise but it works,.....still small enough to fit in my hunting shirt pocket, and takes great stills and pretty darn good videos.

The first thing I noticed was that the LCD (2 1/2 inch) screen was really worthless in the outdoor sun. I was reminded of the importance of an optical viewfinder. All the megapixels etc mean nothing if you can't see what you're trying to take a picture of.

I wish the manufacturers would include optical viewfinders in more of their offerings. Personally, I've seen great claims for LCDs but none that really worked outside in bright sun.

Worse

The TX1 looks like it may be an ergonomic disaster. The HV10 HD camcorder, which is oriented the same way, is a real PITA to use. It's difficult to hold such a camera steady, reach the buttons, etc--and don't even think about trying to hold it with one hand.
    Canon S3 IS; G2; Rebel 2000 (35mm)
    Canon Optura 50 (Mini-DV)
    iMac G4, PowerBook G4

My .Mac page