Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    slitman Guest

Arrow Going from the A610 to either the A710 IS or SD800 IS or SD700 IS

Currently own the A610 and although it is a great camera, I really want something with IS. I first looked at the A710 IS and liked the following:

Image Stabilizer
    7.1 Megapixel
    2.5" color LCD
    6x Optical

However, after realizing what I really use it for, I think I would be better off with something smaller and easier to carry around, which I might lean towards the SD800 IS or SD700 IS.

I also currently own a Nikon D50 which I use when I need an SLR.

Between the SD800 IS or SD700 IS, is the SD800 IS mainly intended more for wide angle use since the SD700 has a longer focal length (140mm compared to 105mm)? Noticed also the SD800 IS has a fast shooting speed compared to the SD700 IS.

Any comments/feedback would be appreciated.

Im gona bet the 610 out performs either of those 2.
    My camera gear Found on e-bay.

Can you elaborate? Biggest problem with the A610 is no IS.
    Quote Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post
    Im gona bet the 610 out performs either of those 2.

Think he's referring to the fact that the A6xx series seems to have the best glass/largest sensor combination of the Canon P&Ss, and therefore the best image quality. IS is only really helpful on the long end of a zoom or in low light conditions and can be replaced with the use of a tripod... can't replace IQ though.

SD800 IS vs. SD700IS

SD800 IS differences versus the 700 as quoted from the review here...

7.1 Megapixel CCD (versus 6.0 on the SD700)
    3.8X optical zoom lens, equivalent to 28 - 105 mm (versus 4X, 35 - 140 mm)
    Uses new DIGIC III image processor (instead of DIGIC II) promises superior photo quality, battery life, and performance
    New Face Detection technology
    Higher resolution LCD
    ISO now goes as high as 1600 (versus 800)
    Movie recording file size limit now 4GB (versus 1GB)
    12% improvement in battery life
    Supports SDHC memory cards

I just bought an SD800 IS and love it. Bought for the photo quality not the video functionality though. You can't zoom while recording in video mode. You have to choose your zoom setting prior to hitting the record button then you are locked into that setting while you record.

The SDxxx are great cameras, small and quick, with quite good image quality. But they are not going to match the image quality of the A6xxx and they have no manual controls. They are strictly point and shoot.

Why do you need IS? What is the subject matter that you think would benefit from the feature? Keep in mind, that if your subject is moving IS probably won't help you get what you want. IS is great, but it's not a fix-all and proper technique can help out when you don't have it.

slitman Guest
    Thanks for the clarification. However, for my purposes, I never use a tripod and and tend to do full range picture taking from close ups to zoom shots so IS is VERY useful.

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    Think he's referring to the fact that the A6xx series seems to have the best glass/largest sensor combination of the Canon P&Ss, and therefore the best image quality. IS is only really helpful on the long end of a zoom or in low light conditions and can be replaced with the use of a tripod... can't replace IQ though.

slitman Guest
    Of all of these, the 3.8X optical zoom lens, equivalent to 28 - 105 mm (versus 4X, 35 - 140 mm) is what I am debating on. Think I like the idea of the 28-105mm range.

I have heard from some others that although the difference between the DIGIC II and DIGIC III sound impressive, there is very little difference on day to day use. Don't plan on using the movie function. ISO 1600 is of little interest as I have seen the quality is very noisy. Megapixel difference shouldn't really matter as that is only noticeable if you are going to be doing huge enlargements.

One thing I don't like with the A610 is a lack of a low battery indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by jleonardjr View Post

Uses new DIGIC III image processor (instead of DIGIC II) promises superior photo quality, battery life, and performance
    Higher resolution LCD

I just bought an SD800 IS and love it. Bought for the photo quality not the video functionality though. You can't zoom while recording in video mode. You have to choose your zoom setting prior to hitting the record button then you are locked into that setting while you record.

slitman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    The SDxxx are great cameras, small and quick, with quite good image quality. But they are not going to match the image quality of the A6xxx and they have no manual controls. They are strictly point and shoot.
    For the purposes of this camera, I am looking solely for a point and shoot. I have a Nikon D50 when I need a good SLR. Again, this purpose of this camera is something smaller, the better, that will take great pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    Why do you need IS? What is the subject matter that you think would benefit from the feature? Keep in mind, that if your subject is moving IS probably won't help you get what you want. IS is great, but it's not a fix-all and proper technique can help out when you don't have it.
    The IS would be a great feature to have when taking pictures at full zoom. My personal preference of two cameras; one with IS and one without, I would take the one with IS.

slitman Guest
    Just noticed according to dpreview, the SD700 is actually rated higher than the SD800.

Quote Originally Posted by jleonardjr View Post

Higher resolution LCD