Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A710 - Frustrating Flash Recharge

I've had my A710 for about 4 months now. I think it's a great camera but the slow flash recharge time is driving me crazy, especially when trying to take photos of the kids and having to wait 5 seconds between shots.

It will recharge quicker if I turn off the LCD display and just look through the viewfinder, but I prefer using the LCD display.

It is annoying me so much I am thinking of changing cameras, but don't want to find the same problem with another one.

Does anyone know what the flash recharge is like on the S3? I know a friend who has the G7 and the flash recharge seems quite fast, but I don't need all the extra manual features on the G7 to justify the extra cost.

Any experiences from people here on flash recharge with other models would be most appreciated.

Thanks

A710 only uses 2 batteries so stay away from the other models that use 2x AA batteries. the S3 definitely has a faster recharge time but not sure how many secs. 2 or less i'm assuming.
    i had the A710 and it pissed me off too.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Love my A710

I love my A710 but the flash recharge time is a bummer. I knew that going in and chose it anyway because I need the small size for most of my photography. The S3 will do a lot better I'm told and I'm waiting for the "new" S3 to hit the shelves. I'll likely get one of those. Hey, you can't really have too many cameras.

By the way, I find only three things wrong with the A710, no zoom during video, terrible LCD outside, and the slow flash. The first two are easy to work around. About the flash, it takes awhile but I do get good flash photos.

The flash charge time is a result of your power source, not the camera itself. What kind of batteries are you using (mAh rating)? It is kind of a curse of any digital that uses 2 AA's. The Elphs have great recycle time on the flash, you just have to spend the extra money on a spare rechargable (I found one for $20, not the canon brand, but it works just as well).
    I have a camera. It takes pictures.

I had a few spare minutes, so I went ahead and just recorded my S3 and my Elph, in continuous mode with the flash on (recorded the Elph with the S3's movie mode and vice versa if you're interested, but I did lower the file quality on both for upload purposes).

You'll notice with the S3 that it takes slightly better than 1 per second, but it does eventually drain to where it's only taking one every 8 seconds or so. The Elph will go on forever at the speed you see, and if you're not using continuous mode, the flash recycle time is excellent with the S3 also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-kUGQyqKVo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0hDhMSY3PA

Quote Originally Posted by griptape View Post
    I had a few spare minutes, so I went ahead and just recorded my S3 and my Elph, in continuous mode with the flash on (recorded the Elph with the S3's movie mode and vice versa if you're interested, but I did lower the file quality on both for upload purposes).

You'll notice with the S3 that it takes slightly better than 1 per second, but it does eventually drain to where it's only taking one every 8 seconds or so. The Elph will go on forever at the speed you see, and if you're not using continuous mode, the flash recycle time is excellent with the S3 also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-kUGQyqKVo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0hDhMSY3PA

When you said the S3 gets to around 8 seconds at the end, thats not from the batteries, thats from the buffer on the memory card.

You should turn it around and watch the write LED, i bet when its pausing its writing to the memory card and the red LED is blinking meaning its busy writing.

Do this, try adjusting the quality settings down on your cameras insted of using super fine detail and the highest resolution bump it down to medium and fine. Then see how fast it is.

There is more then one thing that can slow these cameras down. Not just flash.

Review? is it off? or is it set to 3 seconds? the memory speed and the quality of the shot. Change up all these things.

Another thing to try is turn off all the auto stuff. Put it in manual, set the white balance NO auto, turn off auto focus, put it in manual, no color effects, then try it. Also turn the IS off see what that does.

I remember i was going to make a video like that one and then i messed with my A700 and i got it faster. THe less it has to think about the shot the faster it is.
    My camera gear Found on e-bay.

Quote Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post
    When you said the S3 gets to around 8 seconds at the end, thats not from the batteries, thats from the buffer on the memory card.
    I actually thought about that about 10 minutes after I posted, but it's a little odd that my Elph just keeps going (and it's a megapixel more). I'm using a transcend 150x 2 gig card, so it may just be that the S3's buffer is slower than the Elph's (which is odd, but I suppose possible). And I actually just tried it, and the red LED doesn't blink, but the flash icon on the LCD does. So I really think it's the flash.

humm, maybe your right then.

Whats in the ELPH? what card? is it a CF memory card?
    My camera gear Found on e-bay.

Quote Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post
    humm, maybe your right then.

Whats in the ELPH? what card? is it a CF memory card?
    Nope, exact same card (well another of the exact same SD card that's in the S3)

I'd be hard pressed to believe that the slowdown on the S3 has anything to do with the memory card. I suspect it's the recharge of the batteries. I bet if you lowered the power of the flash you'd never get down to once every 8 seconds.

-dave-