Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Some GX10 photos

Hello all

I recently entered a competition in a magazine in UK to provide a portfolio of shots. The idea was that they sent me a GX10 to use for a couple of weeks then they chose one to run across a 2 page spread in the February edition. The prize was a GX10.

I've posted some of my photos from that time on my pbase (mostly in night photos and some in towns and cities) all were taken with the kit lens and most in raw format. All of the GX10 photos are identified with the camera model but pbase don't have the kit lens on their database. When I've done searches of the camera model in their database only my photos come up so I assume that they are not readily available yet.

Carl
    Been a Pentax user for 25 years and have used a Pentax *istD since 2003. I got a Fuji S3 last June and won a Samsung GX10 in a competition earlier this year

My pbase http://www.pbase.com/bottesini

How does it compare?

Carl took me a while to find the Samsung pictures but got there in the end. How do you feel the camera compares with your others? And would you have bought one if you hadn't won it? Gallery was excellent by the way you have some lovely shots in there. I enjoyed my search for the GX10 shots. Thanks
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Hello Phil

Sorry I wasn't a bit more specific about the location of the photos, it was quite late in the day and my brain was going bye byes.

When I had the GX10 on loan for the competition I did a test using my two dslr's and the GX10. I took some photos of a set up in my conservatorywith a Pentax M 50mm 1.7 lens for the Pentax and Samsung and a Nikon 50mm AF 1.8 lens for the Fuji S3.

I kept to f8 as I know that that is the best aperture for both lenses from experience and I shot using noise reduction and without. The sharpest results were without and the noise is negligible unless you use really long exposures. I kept to ISO 100 for the GX10 and the S3 and ISO 200 for the istD. The GX10 was sharpest by quite some way comparing all at their native resolutions (S3 at 6 and 12 MP). I also tried downsampling them all to 6MP then upsampling the S3 and istD to 10MP then all to 12MP. In each case the GX10 was sharper with better detail resolution.

When I used the GX10 for my assignment (night photos) I found that the NR mushed the details a bit too much for my liking but shooting in raw it was possible to get most if not all back. I use raw almost exclusively so I am used to sharpening the final image but with NR on images need an awful lot and with night photos because the light has a different composition to daylight you have to be careful what you sharpen.

Having said that I think that the GX10 is superior to my other cameras in most ways. With the S3 there is a trade off between raw resolution and dynamic range so I think on balance that I still prefer the S3 for night work at the moment but for just about everything else especially where speed is required the GX10 wins. The shake reduction is priceless. I have a pre digital Sigma 135-400mm lens that I have never been able to get a decent photo with digital until now. I can hand hold at 400mm at 1/60.

In answer to the question about would I have bought it. Before-no after-possibly (brand loyalty and all that) I think that the processing between the GX10 and k10d are slightly different from what I have read and seen and I find that I prefer the GX10 on that basis. The GX10 is also 100 cheaper in this country so that is a consideration. If I were spending my own money I would be a bit concerned with the fact that Samsung make it quite hard to get in touch with them and the lenses and accessories are not readily available yet. Another concern that I have is whether or not they will offer firmware updates as Pentax have done, a negative that I find is the inability to run wireless from the on-board flash with only one external flash. I don't want to have to spend another 200 to go wireless when I can do it with my istD. I don't think I would ever miss the omissions from the GX10 which are included on the K10d.

This is a longer reply than you expected so thanks for reading

Carl
    Been a Pentax user for 25 years and have used a Pentax *istD since 2003. I got a Fuji S3 last June and won a Samsung GX10 in a competition earlier this year

Good comparison

Carl Thanks for taking the time to reply. No problem with the length you had some excellent points in there that I've not seen anywhere else. I admit I was quite taken by the specs of the K10d & when I saw the Samsung was going to be 100 cheaper for the same camera it seemed like a good way to convince my better half I need a new camera. I had read that there were a few minor differences in the cameras image processing but like you felt it sounded that the image straight from the camera might suit me better from the GX10. I had not read that there were omissions from the GX10 that were on the K10d though. What were you refering to?

Hello Phil

The omissions are really the Pentax specific features like the .pef format raw files and I think you can make more precise changes to white balance. If you use Adobe Photoshop as I do then it is just as convenient to use .dng. I also don't rate the pentax computer software which I find counter intuitive and very slow to use. The Samsung software is ok it works more like adobe camera raw but I haven't had a good play with it yet so I don't know how results would compare to ACR. Other differences are on the post capture in camera side. I think you have more scope for converting raw files in camera and (I think ) the digital filters can be applied to raw files and not just jpegs. As I said I don't think I will miss them.

If you want a good comparison test of the two cameras then get hold of a copy of What digital camera. They give them equal marks and say that it basically comes down to if you want the name and if you want the kit lens (which isn't bad as it happens so long as your expectations aren't too high-it ain't one of the limited primes but it does the job)

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the price drops down to about 500 in the next few months to compete with the Sony a100.

Carl

Thanks Carl ,if those are the only differences then I'd be tempted to go with Samsung at the cheaper price. Thanks for the info. It might be a while before I take the dslr plunge though so I'll watch the price drops with interest.