Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Best Panasonic UZ for indoor use.

I'm looking for "the right" UZ mainly for nature/wildlife-photo.
    (See the thread: http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25716 where i've got a lot of help)

I've narrowed down the alternatives to the two Pana's TZ1 and FZ7 and I think that's both of them is good for my outdoor needs. Which of them to choose now depends on their indoor capabilities. That's probably not the stongest side of any of them but I believe one must be the "least worse" choice. Perhaps an attached slave flash could help their poor-light abilities. What do you think? Which one would you've chosen?

Thanks! And sorry for my not so good english!

the built in flash of the FZ7 is pretty strong already.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Red face Indoor use?

Quote Originally Posted by Luscinia View Post
    I'm looking for "the right" UZ mainly for nature/wildlife-photo.
    (See the thread: http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25716 where i've got a lot of help)

I've narrowed down the alternatives to the two Pana's TZ1 and FZ7 and I think that's both of them is good for my outdoor needs. Which of them to choose now depends on their indoor capabilities. That's probably not the stongest side of any of them but I believe one must be the "least worse" choice. Perhaps an attached slave flash could help their poor-light abilities. What do you think? Which one would you've chosen?

Thanks! And sorry for my not so good english!
    I guess you're not referring to "indoor wildlife," which was the stimulus for your original post. If you've got some time to wait, personally, I'd wait until the new TZ3 and FZ8 reviews are out. The FZ8 review is in fact "out" on dpreview (see it here), but looking at the details, I somehow think they posted some "out of focus" samples in their test gallery, though the shots in their sample gallery look great. (In fact, they say in there that they intend to re-shoot the test images).

The reason I'd wait? Because I believe the new models will have an ISO advantage over their predecessors, judging from my recent experience with the FX50 in that respect, which will improve their performance in low light.

I will, however, say this: I have always enjoyed having my stabilized cameras with me indoors at museums. Taking sharp shots in low light is a fun thing to be able to do, and I was doing it 3-4 years ago, with my very first Pannies, the FZ1, FZ10. Here's a handheld shot I took of a glass-blowing exhibit in the Corning Museum of New York, back in 2004 with my FZ10:

That was taken at 1/15 of a second, handheld, at equivalent FL of 380mm, ISO 200. From the same museum, another shot, at 1/6 second:

And just to add insult to injury, here's a TZ1 shot, taken at our National Portrait Gallery in D.C., of John Brown's portrait, ISO 200, at 1/4 second:

I won't make any wild claims about low-light performance, but without Panasonic's O.I.S. system, I'd have no low-light shots to show you.
    Last edited by John_Reed; 02-22-2007 at 09:20 AM.
    Let a be your umbrella!

Indoors Panasonic? You are thinking about slave flash... why don't you consider FZ30? It has hot shoe for that external flash to give you extra range.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Question If she needs flash, you're right...

Quote Originally Posted by tim11 View Post
    Indoors Panasonic? You are thinking about slave flash... why don't you consider FZ30? It has hot shoe for that external flash to give you extra range.
    The FZ30 and FZ50 uniquely provide a hotshoe, at least in the Panasonic line. It wasn't clear what "weaknesses" were being addressed, though, as to whether an extra flash would really be needed?
    Let a be your umbrella!

Quote Originally Posted by John_Reed View Post
    The FZ30 and FZ50 uniquely provide a hotshoe, at least in the Panasonic line. It wasn't clear what "weaknesses" were being addressed, though, as to whether an extra flash would really be needed?
    John, it seems OP wish to have extra flash power by mentioning a slave flash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luscinia View Post
    ....Which of them to choose now depends on their indoor capabilities. That's probably not the stongest side of any of them but I believe one must be the "least worse" choice. Perhaps an attached slave flash could help their poor-light abilities. What do you think? Which one would you've chosen?
    And since slave flash is considered, why isn't hotshoe a better alternative? IMO.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB