Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NikonD40vs.Canon20Dvs.Canon350D!which?!

I would like to buy my first DSLR. I'm interested in photo for few years, but I only have got an old compact camera. I am not sure I want to spend all my time to take photos, so I don't need the highest quality. But I want to buy a quite good performance in that case I'll fall in love photograph. I go to university now, so I haven't got enough money to buy a lot of lenses in the next 6-12months. I need an every day camera which I can use in the most situation. Can you help me which can be the best choice for me?

Nikon D40 + Nikon AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED (http://www.bythom.com/1870lens.htm) + Nikon 55-200mm f4-5.6G ED AF-S DX ( http://www.bythom.com/55200lens.htm )
    900$
    I think:
    -no potential to ugrade because I can just buy AF-S lens if I want to use the AF
    -good zoom range
    -good help menu

Canon EOS 20D 8.2MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens ( http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx )
    950$
    -great body
    -fair lens
    -wonderful potential

Canon 350D (Rebel XT) + Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens ( http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx )
    900$
    -awful grip
    -quite good body
    -great lens

Or another camera?!? (under 1000$)

you might like to look at the pentax K100D as well
    D-40 is definitely the cheapest option, being money is tight
    you can get all those lenses when you qualify

cheers
    Last edited by Riley; 02-20-2007 at 05:00 AM.
    Riley

Pentax 110 auto SLR

From these three cameras the D40 is by far the least interesting. As you point out, the missing motor is a big no-no at this time. Also the camera is stripped down quite seriously in other places.

About the XT and the 20D, both are very good but the AF of the 20D is better. The XTi would be preferrable over the XT, because of several improvements of which the improved AF is very nice.

Body of the 20D is bigger and the material feels better, as you already know.

About lenses, the 28-135 IS lens is quite ok, but a little bit awkward in focal range (misses some at the wide end).
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

what is the more important: a great lens or s great body???

always ... always lenses
    bodies come and go, (especially at update time
    but good glass is for keeps

forget the elcheapo B grade stuff
    thats my experience

if you must cut a corner, look for some second hand glass
    take the time to build a kit that will respect your work

cheers
    Riley

Pentax 110 auto SLR

Quote Originally Posted by pocok08 View Post
    For the most part, glass. I've got a stack of crappy lenses in a box that are crap. Just by switching the general purpose lense (the lense that is bolted to your camera 95% of the time), my camera seemed to literally wake up.

I would forgo the D40. Its missing too many important features. If you were going to strictly use the kit lense or other AF-S (is that it??) lense then its definately a cute number. However, that isn't the case most of the time. I ran across a couple of old lenses (like, REALLY old) and they all mount up to my D70s with no problems.

On the canon, everyone I know who ran the 300D/350D/400D is upgrading to the 30D at the moment. I am no canon man, but I can attest that the 30D is the shit. I do believe the 20D can also handle it. If I were to buy a canon, I'd go with the 20D/30D.

If price is a real concern for you, look into a refurb unit with a warranty. My D70s is a refurb and I can only tell its a refurb because every once in a while I think about it too much. No regrets and no problems. Saved easily a couple hundred $$.

Of course, go to the camera shop and take a look. Also ask them if you can trade up lenses. I.E. you walk out with a better lense and only pay the difference between the better lense and kit. I recommend this because kit lenses are difficult to resell sometimes (I've got a 18-55 that is gathering dust).

Unless you are buying a specialty lense (such as the sigma 18-50 f/2.8), then stick with genuine lenses. The quality is superior.
    Small Town Newspaper Oaf

East Coast Coorespondant for CRAWL Magazine!!??

The most important, within limits, is the lens.

I say within limits, because there are other factors that are important. Resolution wise, an XTi will beat the pants of a D40 for instance.
    And if you get a body that is as limitted as the D40, you may find that a LOT of interesting lenses will not even work on it, so then the selection of a better body becomes more important.
    Or the AF system may make a big difference in a lot of photography types, especially in moving subjects. Again something where the D40 is severely hampered. And mirror lockup can be important at some macro and longer exposure time shots... again not the D40.

So.. yes, a good lens is of importance to the image quality, of course. But you can NOT totally ignore which body you choose.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

I need an every day camera which I can use in the most situation. Can you help me which can be the best choice for me?
    Have you considered the K100D and Sony A100? Both have built in stabilization (a huge cost saver). I really wouldn't consider the Canon XT, but the XTi is nice. I have a friend that has one, though I haven't asked to use it yet One of these days...

The 20D might be your best (grow into) camera. It's a bit big/heavy in comparison to the others, but a solid camera. Just wish it had a larger LCD.

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain View Post
    Or the AF system may make a big difference in a lot of photography types, especially in moving subjects. Again something where the D40 is severely hampered.
    I think it's important to note the scalability of your concerns here. I used to use the Canon S2 IS (normal point and shoot ultra zoom camera) for sports photography. I did just fine. I even had praises from a dSLR dad who said my shots were better than his (and he used the Canon XT).

The D40 is by no means a slouch. And I'll say this again, every camera is a compromise. It's just a matter of the buyer determining which compromise they want to buy into.

Probably as important would be to consider how long you intend to wait until you get a new body, and which lens system you'd rather buy into.

With Nikon, there are more non AF-S lenses, but the majority of existing AF-S lenses have no comparable lens, and the majority (possibly all) new lenses from Nikon will include the AF motor.

In the Nikon line, if you'd prefer to use legacy lenses, the newest compatible camera would be a D-80, but you could also buy older technology in both the D-70s and D-50. All of these cameras will take both newer motorized and older non-motorized lenses, and they do have more autofocus points than the D-40.

As for Canon, don't let the Sensor Cleaning system sway your choice. It's really not a great system in the XTi, but the lens variety from Canon is excellent. Not all Canon lenses are created equal (as is the case with all Lens makers) so expect to pay for better glass down the road sometime.

The Canon 30D is a great camera. Once you get past the kit lens, the FPS becomes main attraction. Five FPS is mighty speedy and is a step up from the 3 FPS available on the XTi.

Pentax is a great brand if you'd prefer to order your lenses. Most small shops I've visited have a larger selection of both Nikon and Canon on the shelf than for Pentax, but the Pentax line do have the stabilizer bulit into the body (a real nice addition).

if i might
    perhaps you could ask yourself this question
    is a lens with manual focus acceptable to you
    Riley

Pentax 110 auto SLR