Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Canon A540 vs DSLR

I want to know what exactly is the difference between a Canon A540 and a DSLR ?

Apart from not incurring film costs , what other benefits will I get ? I think the aperture in a DSLR is greater than the one in A540 , 52mm versus 28mm.What difference does it make to the photos I take ?

The dSLR will have greater ISO range, essentially no shutter lag, better image quality, a choice of lenses, filters, flashes, better focusing, more manual controls, and half a dozen other features you may or may not use.

The A540 is compact, takes video, allows you to preview using the LCD, has many manual controls, and takes pretty good pictures.

Aperture on the dSLR depends on which lens you choose. You have an almost infinite variety of lenses to chose from, depending on which dSLR model you buy.

I think you might benefit from filling out the questionnaire at the top of this forum. You questions seem to indicate that you are new to digital photography.

-dave-

Quote Originally Posted by harishkumar09 View Post
    I want to know what exactly is the difference between a Canon A540 and a DSLR ?

Apart from not incurring film costs , what other benefits will I get ? I think the aperture in a DSLR is greater than the one in A540 , 52mm versus 28mm.What difference does it make to the photos I take ?
    A DSLR has no film costs (the D meaning Digital). Nor does the A540. So I probably are misreading that line.
    The "aperture" of a DSLR is variablem just as the aperture of the A540.
    Because the A540 has a smaller sensor, and because of that a lot smaller lens, it also will have a smaller max. aperture size.
    The "52mm vs 28mm" I do not understand at all, in regards to aperture.

The max aperture is very much dependent on what lens you put on the DSLR.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

"I think the aperture in a DSLR is greater than the one in A540 , 52mm versus 28mm."

I believe you are referring to the size of the threads at the end of the lens. This is not the aperture. It is merely the diameter of the lens for attaching filters. The aperture is typically created by a set of blades in the rear of the lens. These can be adjusted to increase or decrease the diameter of the opening. A smaller number like f2.8 is a larger opening than f22. A larger opening allows more light to the film or sensor. In general a lens that can open to f2.8 is fairly typical in digital cameras.

Thank you coldrain , David Metsky and kgosden for yoru valuable inputs.

Quote Originally Posted by kgosden View Post
    "I think the aperture in a DSLR is greater than the one in A540 , 52mm versus 28mm."

I believe you are referring to the size of the threads at the end of the lens. This is not the aperture. It is merely the diameter of the lens for attaching filters. The aperture is typically created by a set of blades in the rear of the lens. These can be adjusted to increase or decrease the diameter of the opening. A smaller number like f2.8 is a larger opening than f22. A larger opening allows more light to the film or sensor. In general a lens that can open to f2.8 is fairly typical in digital cameras.

Thanks very much kgosden.Well , understand that the aperture is the opening created by a set of blades.But others in this thread have said it depends on the lenses you use.So which is correct ? And also I am very much interested in bokeh or blur effect and I guess it is possible to a greater degree in SLRs than the Canon A540.Am I right ? And the maximum aperture in A540 is f2.8.If the SLRs are also going to have that as the max aperture , what benefit do I get out of it ? I thought the blur effect depends on the aperture as well , and the larger the better.
    Last edited by harishkumar09; 02-24-2007 at 11:19 AM.

The aperture blades, sometimes called the diaphragm, are part of the lens. The bokeh effect of the out of focus area is to some extent governed by the number of blades, and more blades are often regarded as producing a more pleasing bokeh. Since the lens of the A540 is fixed, you don't have a choice, but a DSLR has interchangeable lenses, so you can choose from many lenses, not only from the camera manufacturer, but also third party makers such as Sigma, Tamron & Tokina.

If you're interested in bokeh you're probably interested in narrow depth of field - i.e. only having objects at a limited range of distances form the camera in focus. You get a narrower depth of field with a larger aperture (smaller f-stop number) and a longer focal length. Also, the larger sensor of a DSLR tends to result in a narrower depth of field than a compact camera.

For a detailed explaination of depth of field, look here.