Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Maartje Guest

Unnatural green colour

Hello,

Has anyone a solution to the next problem with the Sony Alpha 100: in pictures with great green areas, such as grass meadows, my pictures are mostly too bright and the green colour is unnatural. Other colours are fine. I attached a picture with this problem. I hope anyone can help me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Maartje; 03-02-2007 at 09:27 AM.

It looks like you're shooting without a lens hood and when the intensity of the Sun is near at it's strongest.

The focus/evaluation of the scene, however, looks not too bad. As for the green, it is not fair to ask us whether the green looks wrong because we weren't there. However, grass in such intense light usually shifts yellower, and green in shade usually shifts bluer.

As you can see, the light is very bright. You metered for the shadows to look good (see people, donkeys sides). Now everything that is light from the sun will be over exposed (the grass, people's shoulders, the donkey's back).

It is normal, nothing to do with your A100 but just with the exposure. You can not have both... either properly exposed people/donkeys or properly exposed grass/highlights.

You can put things a bit "right" with photoshop "shadows and highlights":
    Last edited by coldrain; 03-03-2007 at 11:38 AM.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

You might want to see this, i found it on a comparison between some SLR cameras

From:http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/A100vsD80vsXTi.shtml

Sony has introduced a feature called "D-Range Optimizer" in the Sony A100. Sony's Dynamic Range Optimizer (DRO) analyzes the captured image data and instantly determines the best exposure and color tonality of an image before JPEG compression. Unlike software optimization of a processed image, DRO is performed in the hardware. In comparison with Nikon's similar D-Lighting feature, there are a few advantages with the Nikon approach.
    Tools of the trade: Canon Rebel XT, 18-55 kit, 17-85 IS, 70-300 IS, Power of Imagination
    -----------------------
    The World's Best Photographer with a disposable film camera is STILL The World's Best Photographer.
    The World's Worst Photographer with The World's best DSLR is STILL The World's Worst Photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by CanonRex View Post
    You might want to see this, i found it on a comparison between some SLR cameras

From:http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/A100vsD80vsXTi.shtml

Sony has introduced a feature called "D-Range Optimizer" in the Sony A100. Sony's Dynamic Range Optimizer (DRO) analyzes the captured image data and instantly determines the best exposure and color tonality of an image before JPEG compression. Unlike software optimization of a processed image, DRO is performed in the hardware. In comparison with Nikon's similar D-Lighting feature, there are a few advantages with the Nikon approach.
    yesterday i was attend a sony alpha's class , the lecturer says that use the DRO on Standard in daily use , only use advance in case the lightning is extreamly 2 low , coz the advance option will process the picture with more lightning , so is not suitable for daytime use...... but u cannot use that function on manual mode , so is not a big deal for me...

Overexposed grass happens. Don't fret over it; it's not always a bad thing.