Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Camera Depreciation?

What should I expect to loose if I sell my new Nikon D3000 right now? It has less than 400 shots on it, and is in as close to "Brand New" as there can be. I paid $600 for the camera with the 18-55 VR lens, a camera bag, 4gb SD card, UV filter, and extra battery.

With that, I also have a SB-600 (With maybe 200 shots I would guess) that I would also obviously sell. I paid $220 for it a month ago at Best Buy. What can I expect to get for that? (It will also come with a Sto-fen Omni bounce)

I hope that this isn't against the rules. I just want to make it clear that I am NOT SELLING the camera at this time. I am just trying to figure out if it will be worth selling if the depreciation hit wont be that bad.

Anything else I should consider?
    Last edited by Myboostedgst; 01-18-2010 at 07:37 PM.

It all depends on how you sell it and who is buying. I sold my D50 last year for over $500, Well over the normal market value. Now, in terms of depreciation for a legal business term, the % drastically goes down as soon as you open the box.
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Was that on craigslist or Ebay?

Is there a used camera store close to where you live? Their used prices would give you an idea of what price people are paying for.
    Nikon D40|Nikon D5100|AF-S 50mm f/1.4|AF-S 18-105mm DX|SB 900|SB 400|AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX|AF-S 10-24mm DX

Canon A610

Flickr

It's a consumer level camera and lens so there is no wow factor or collectabilty premium. It's the end of the Christmas sales period and I suspect that there probably a quite a few kicking around on the market that are unwanted gifts etc.
    With that in mind I'd look at the local Best Buy or WalMart or Costco catalogue for what they are selling the camera at and assume that a used one is worth around 50% of the new price.
    IMO cameras at this level are now consumer items and have as much resalability as second hand TV's or microwaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Myboostedgst View Post
    Was that on craigslist or Ebay?
    It was on eBay.
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
    It's a consumer level camera and lens so there is no wow factor or collectabilty premium. It's the end of the Christmas sales period and I suspect that there probably a quite a few kicking around on the market that are unwanted gifts etc.
    With that in mind I'd look at the local Best Buy or WalMart or Costco catalogue for what they are selling the camera at and assume that a used one is worth around 50% of the new price.
    IMO cameras at this level are now consumer items and have as much resalability as second hand TV's or microwaves.
    Thanks for the info. In that case, it looks like I will just be keeping it and shelling out the extra $200 to buy my old Powershot back off my friend.

The D50 has held it's value partly because it was and still is a great camera... but I suspect mainly because it has the autofocus motor built in allowing the use of many wonderful older non AF-S Nikon (and third-party) lenses - a feature left out of the replacement model entry-level DSLRs. I'm with Kiwi on the more recent low-end models... and I don't even expect to recoup much of what I paid for my D300 if or when I do eventually upgrade.
    D300 | MB-D10

18-105MM F/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX VR | 105mm f/1.8 AI-S | 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR | 80-200 f/2.8 | 50mm f1.4 | SB-900 | SB-600

Don't say that. My 300 is still worth heaps.......
    Stephen: Another kiwi bumming around Aussie welding shit up missing home....

Bloggy thing

bhphoto are selling the d3000+18-55VR for $550 brand new. of greater concern for your resale is probably the fact that i've seen a couple of refurbed d5000's with the same lens going for $540 @ adorama. i got itchy fingers just looking at it.

whack it on ebay and try your luck. i'd be pretty surprised if it made $400 though. the flash should go for around the $150-180 mark depending on how lucky you are. (as long as you have boxes, manuals etc).
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr