Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Possibly a stupid question

So I just bought the A100, since I had an older Maxxum XTsi and a few Tamron lenses, so I figured I could save a few $ initially and get more up to speed on the camera.

The camera seems to work great so far, but one thing I do not have/see is when I'm preparing to take a picture, I don't see the subject in the 2.5" display on the back, I can only use the viewfinder. I do have the settings displayed, but if I scroll through (small, large, blank) with the display button, I can never see what I'm shooting at. Maybe I've become way too point and click as of late and this is normal behavior for the DSLR's, I was just worried that something was wrong with the camera, or because I have older lenses, there was an issue (thought the pictures take just great!)

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Rob

Ah yes ... not a P&S.

Happily, your camera is working exactly as designed. A DSLR's rear LCD, unlike a P&S with an LCD veiwfinder, only displays the image AFTER it is taken.

Everything you view BEFORE the shutter release must be viewed with the optical viewfinder (8) as it bounces around the pentaprism (7) as it comes through the lens (1) and reflects off the mirror (2).

When you press the shutter release, the shutter (3) slides open, the mirror flips up (5), momentarily blocking the viewfinder (8) and the camera's sensor (4) captures the image, which is immediately transmitted to the LCD on the rear of the camera, for your viewing pleasure.

Name:  Slr-cross-section.JPG
Views: 219
Size:  14.9 KB
    Thanks to Wikipedia for image

I hope this clears it up.

BTW: The only DSLR camera, I am aware of, that has a "preview" function is the FujiFilm S3 ... and it's not quite what you think it is.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-18-2007 at 09:56 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thank you for the incredibly informative answer! I look forward to contributing to this forum moving forward.

Rob

update your list Don
    preview aka LiveView is also on Olympus E-330, Panasonic L1, Leica Digilux 3, and will be on the soon to be released Olympus E-410 and E-510
    Riley

Pentax 110 auto SLR

Cool Asleep at the switch ...

I really haven't been concentrating on the market, as of late. I know, personally, once you buy into your system, you tend to lose track of much else and concentrate on your craft.

Thanks for the "update!'
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-18-2007 at 12:16 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi