Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SD700 IS - Vignetting problems...

Playing with my new SD700 IS I noticed that it has a very noticeable vignetting problem in most auto setting images and flash makes it worse. I am kinda pissed that a $300 cam takes "worse" pics than my 4year old 3mp cam. So what's going on? How do I avoid it? I am amazed....

5-6 feet away from target. Auto with flash. AWFUL pic.
    Name:  IMG_0469.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  64.3 KB

Same distance with zoom seems to fix it.
    Name:  IMG_0470.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  65.3 KB
    Last edited by andres_x; 02-12-2007 at 07:50 PM.

your problem seems to be that your shooting in low light conditions, so the aperture will go to largest diameter, and with the wide angle, its a combo for vignetting.

Try shooting with a higher F/stop like f/4.5

That will only help so much though, as its a compact camera, vignetting is to be expected at widest angle. If you have read any reviews before purchasing it, you would have seen it mentioned many times over.

So since you did not research your camera before purchasing, you better get used to using PS. Luckily with PS its easy to fix vignetting.

Angry

I did read the reviews on DCRP and Imaging Resource. There is indeed a mention about vignetting, but I got the impression that it was minor. " There's mild barrel distortion at the wide-angle end of the SD700's 4X zoom lens. I spotted some mild vignetting in the test chart..." - Hence my concern when I started playing with it ( and my test image ).

So to understand how to avoid this problem, where does it come from? Is the flash intensity a factor in it?. Or is it independent of flash?.

It seems the easiest way to "fix" this issue is to zoom in slightly and avoid using the widest angle. Is it true? This camera only allows to change shutter speeds and white balance - after all I did want a point-n-shoot...

Angry

- sorry double post.
    Last edited by andres_x; 02-13-2007 at 08:53 AM.

From what I see in your photo (ALTHOUGH I AM NOT SURE), it is not vignetting due to the lens but it is a darkening of the edges due to the flash. Try experimenting by moving farther from the wall and nearer to the wall and see if the "vignetting" disappears.

Better yet, try to shoot in bright lighting without the flash and see if the vignetting disappears.
    An S3 IS and D80 Shooter
    Visit my photo gallery

yeah i wana see it with better lighting.
    My camera gear Found on e-bay.

- I will get the pictures in better lighting today. Pooh is a corny target, but excellent example of my "problem".

- So it seems there are three factors in play: vignetting, flash-induced darkness ( i don't know what else to call it ), and, poor lighting conditions. What is the connection between all three? Or is the combo of the three exagerating the "problem"?

I don't see this issue with my old sony cybershot DSC-P8, so I am naturally concerned that 4-5 years down the line in technology advances I am getting "worse" images...

Hi, not related to your topic as I don't think I can offer any opinion or solution.
    But could you check your SD700 for me? to see what country the camera was manufactured in?
    Thanks.

Eric

The vignetting wouldn't be from the flash, as the flash isn't limited to a well-defined cone or circle.

They changed the flash design on them last year i think where the flash bulb moves with the zoom maybe this has somthign to do with it.

The first thing i thought was vignetting but ive seen flash give a sort of spot effect like this.

Can you adjust the brightness of the flash on this camera? that may change somthing also.
    My camera gear Found on e-bay.