Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying a new A100...what lens?

I will be buying the A100 and am considering the 18-200 lens. What is the best value in 18-200's ? Any significant differances in Sigma, Tamron etc ? Also I have some old Minolta manual lens dating back to the 70's will they function on the A100?

Thanks
    Paul

Talking Tamron AF18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR DiII LD (IF)

While I cannot personal vouche for the Sigma version of the focal length, I can say that I've shot the TAmROn Promaster AF 28-200mm f/3.8-5.6 for years on the Minolta-mount. It is an early design, but performed well with film. A little tardy with focus speed, but the newer version is much snappier. I use this older version for my SONY A100. I'm not quite ready to spend another $300 for the upgraded version, since this already works for me.

On my other digital... my TAmROn AF18-200 f/3.5-6.3 XR DiII LD Aspherical (IF) is mounted on the Canon EOS 20D. Is has performed well over the past year and seems to offer generally good shots. There are some distortions at the high and low end, but they are relatively minor. The XR-coating makes the lens relatively short in length and the weight is only 15 oz. It is designed to work exclusively with APS-C sensors, like the A100 has, so there should be good match of this lens to the SONY camera.

Post some of the extreme shots you take, when you can. I'd like to see what the upgraded version shoots like.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-22-2006 at 06:37 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

either one

Either one is a decent cheapo lens. Some will say one is better, and other will defend the other one. I've read where the Sigma 18-125 is a fairly good lens, and that's the one I would get for a walk around cheap lens if I didn't have the 18-70. I think the 18-70 is pretty good. I carry a 70-210 3.5/4.5 withy me (it's a little smaller than the beercan, which I also have.

The sony lens is also supposed to be good, assuming it's a rebadged KM

-Allan

The Sigma one is better, both in image quality (less CA and better colours) and in build quality (for instance metal mount versus plastic mount).
    Don is a mindless Tamron fan (meaning... he has no reason, it is just that way... he never touched the Sigma for instance yet will tell you the Tamron is better, and if he has to he will bring in the warranty blahblah).
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Lightbulb If a SONY lens is available...

If a SONY 18-200mm lens is available, take the time to mount it and shoot it against a relatively similar TAmROn or SIGMA lens. Use your own CF card and BEFORE YOU BUY, take the test shots home for comparison. It is critical that the settings remain identical for comparison purposes, so that even if you took a set of bad shots... they'd all still be able to be compared for light intensity, contrast and color cast.

In my own experience, the TAmROn 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 is a far sharper lens than the 18-70mm SONY kit lens, so I would suggest seeking a package that has the TAmROn or SIGMA version of the 18-200mm included, rather than the SONY 18-70mm.

I'm not sure what SONY is charging for their own version of the 18-200mm lens... but the 18-200mm range makes for a super "kit" lens with plenty of versatility for the beginning user. Remember to use the A100's built-in flash, indoors, with it... as this type (18-200mm f/3.5-6.3) of lens darkens up when zoomed out beyond 120mm. It's just something that needs to be taken into consideration when setting up your shot.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-02-2006 at 08:57 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

uk26 Guest

Old Minolta Manual lenses on Sony A100

Hello everyone,

I too have some old Minolta Manual lenses which I would to know if I can use on Sony's A100? Is there any adapter required and which one?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap
    If a SONY 18-200mm lens is available, take the time to mount it and shoot it against a relatively similar TAmROn or SIGMA lens.
    If I'm not mistaken, the Sony 18-200 is a rebranded Tamron 18-200 that has the fancy logo slapped on it and is sold for $100 more than the Tamron or Sigma.

Red face 18-200mm and other lens stuff

Well...

to be honest, I personally haven't seen the SONY-version of the 18-200mm, but if that's truly the case... then TAmROn would be my choice. It has been for nearly twenty years.

To answer "uk26's" interrogative, NO adapter is required for Minolta A-mount (AF lenses) glass when used on the SONY A100. Just slap it on and go!

Minolta MD-Mount (Manual lenses from the prior generation of cameras), however, would require an adapter just like they did on the Minolta 7000/9000series, the 5/7/9 series, the i-series and the 5D/7D.

Other than the built-in anti-Quake feature of the camera body, I believe the best part of the SONY A100 is the lack of need to buy brand-new glass for it. In fact, if you need to buy glass from the get go... there is a car load of Minolta-glass (AF-mount) available on eBay, for excellent prices.

(A footnote: It has been my experience, that when it comes to the Minolta's 50mm focal length, the f/1.7 lens shoots far sharper than the f/1.4 version. The f/1.4 I would suggest using for portraiture or soft shots... where DOF & low light is critical. I'd use the f/1.7 for everything else, where sharpness and contrast is necessary. Yes, I do own both. )

But, if new is all you will consider, most, if not all of TAmROn's lenses are already available in the Minolta A-mount, as are many of the SIGMA and Tokina lenses.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-10-2006 at 05:09 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by uk26 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I too have some old Minolta Manual lenses which I would to know if I can use on Sony's A100? Is there any adapter required and which one?

Thanks in advance.
    I just bought my A100 this past week and before buying it I did a lot of research concerning using old Minolta lenses. I spoke with a Sony customer service representative and after doing some research he stated you could use the Minolta Maxxum lens from the last 20 years. All my Minolta lenses are 30 years old or more but I will be trying them to see if they work in manual mode.

Lenses...

I, personally, am stuck on Tokina lenses...
    For my old Minolta Maxxum film bodies, I had 5 different Tokina AT & ATX Lenses. I am primarily a Wildlife & Nature photographer so the lens that gets the most work is a Tokina ATX 80-400. It works GREAT on the Sony A100. I walked around our property today taking various shots of birds and got some great ones...
    The other lenses I LOVE with DSLR's are the ATX 24-200 & ATX 12-24.
    I also have an ATX 300 Pro f2.8, Minolta mount. If you ever can get one of these at a decent price I would highly recommend it! It takes the sharpest photos I have ever taken and I have some top end Canon L series lenses. Hoya makes great glass! I got mine used on Ebay.